News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1960 Fleetwood Questions

Started by David Travis, November 04, 2006, 10:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Travis

Hello,

Will someone please tell me where to find the trim tag on a 1960 Fleetwood? Im sure it must be easy to find but I couldnt see it under the hood.

Also, my car has a thick chrome strip across the rear of the trunk wrapping onto both qtr panels (the trunk lock is within ths strip) sort of like a 1959. Was this just optional chrome? I cant find another 1960 that has this. It also has a similar wide band of chrome above the grill and another across the cowl. Was this a decor option? Were spotlights a factory option in 1960?

Thanks in advance

Jerry

Will someone please tell me where to find the trim tag on a 1960 Fleetwood? Im sure it must be easy to find but I couldnt see it under the hood.
* The body trim tag should be riveted to the cowl on the driver side near the windshield (close to left hinge).

Also, my car has a thick chrome strip across the rear of the trunk wrapping onto both qtr panels (the trunk lock is within ths strip) sort of like a 1959. Was this just optional chrome? I cant find another 1960 that has this. It also has a similar wide band of chrome above the grill and another across the cowl. Was this a decor option?
* My guess is that someone wanted more chrome and they had these pieces chrome plated.

Were spotlights a factory option in 1960?
* Probably dealer installed or aftermarket (aka JC Whitney).

* Would you post a pic or upload to the CLC Gallery? Would be interested to see it.

David Travis

Thanks for the response. I honestly believe the chrome has to be factory. They do not look as if they were just plated (?) But I guess I could be wrong.

I will post pictures soon...

Thanks again,
David

John Morris

I parted out two 60 Fleetwoods this summer and neither one had those pieces you describe.

Jerry

In 25 years I have owned and parted out dozens of 1960 Cadillacs. Plus I have seen hundreds of 1960 Cadillacs at shows & auctions all over the country -I do not remember seeing any with those pieces chrome plated from the factory nor any documentation or reference to that being done.

So I am pretty certain that these parts were chromed either by the dealer or sometime after the car was new.

Bruce Reynolds # 18992

Im with you Jerry,

The only ones I have seen have been those Chrome Plated by the owners.

Bruce,
The Tassie Devil(le),
60 CDV

David Travis

I guess I just didnt see how that was possible or why anyone would want to do that (?) They actually appear to be the exact same consistency as the chrome around the tail lights etc.

Thanks for the comments.

Jerry

Quote from: David TravisI guess I just didnt see how that was possible or why anyone would want to do that (?)

How?  Easy, the parts you mention unbolt off the hood and decklid; just send to a quality plater.

Why?  Because the owner probably wanted to emulate the chrome trim panel like on a 59 decklid.  Maybe they felt that the 60 front end was too plain without the chrome center grille bar (on 59).

Why is a big question when it comes to how people customize cars to their liking.  I ask myself that all the time as I walk through multi-make car shows.

David Travis

Okay. Im about to give up on this and acknowledge that perhaps the chrome plating of these parts was after the factory, but I did notice that the 1960 dealer promo of the Fleetwood has the exact same areas chromed (?) I also saw some of the extensions (onto the quarter panels) for sale on ebay that look like mine. Is it possible that some early Fleetwoods had this in 1960?

Jerry

Any chance you can post a link with pics so that we can see what you are talking about?

David Travis

I posted three picks in the picture forum. The spotlight has a piece that is contoured to the fender and appears to be a factory piece. I dont think the chrome on the hood is visible in the front shot I took. There is one of the trunk/rear.

Thanks,
David

Jerry

Aftermarket not factory.  Or could have been done by the dealer at the owners request.  

Dealers were very accomodating to their customers - money talks.  Just think about some of the tacky cars that have been customized at the dealers through the years.  

Yeah, you know the ones I am talking about....