News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Looking for Mechanic Hamilton Ontario

Started by Cbelfay, October 03, 2020, 12:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cbelfay

I have recently bought a 1971 Eldorado Convertible, Running Fine but need someone fairly local that knows about 50 year old cars.

I am looking for someone that likes working on these cars and knows their way around them.
Any names or suggestions would be appreciated

Tried a few younger mechanics but they just aren't familiar with older car and spend too much time diagnosing.
Currently working on air conditioning (2 weeks in diagnostics, replaced condenser, compressor, converted to 134A still no cold air).

Thanks, Chris

Jay Friedman

Try Bill Bickle wbickle@cogeco.ca a club member who lives in St. Catherine's.  He might know someone.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Cbelfay

79 Eldorado

Chris,
You can do some basic diagnostics work yourself as well. The AC may be working perfectly fine and your blend door might be stuck. Is the outlet pipe of the evaporator getting cold? Is the compressor clutch engaging? When you move the control from full hot to full cold do you hear anything like a door moving; may need to have someone else operate the controls while you listen under the dash near the module?

The only thing on your car within the actual AC loop itself, and which isn't on cars today, is the POA valve. You cannot buy replacements but there is a place in Florida which rebuilds them and adjusts/calibrates them for R134a. The TXV is another thing you didn't mention. The TXV has its own refrigerant charge in the bulb. The bulb is in direct contact with the outlet pipe and the internal refrigerant charge reacts to the temperature of the outlet pipe (bulb hot opens the TXV and a cold bulb closes it). That can leak and is not in anyway connected to the charge in your system. The TXV can also get stuck open or closed.

If the system is running and the evap outlet (large pipe) is cold then the problem is not in the AC loop but module related; most likely something like a stuck blend door (maybe something disconnected which moves the blend door).

There was a pretty good diagnostics thread on this site in the technical section a few months ago. If you search for words like POA TXV blend door in the advanced search you will likely find it. I also posted on that thread.

Good luck,
Scott

Cbelfay

Thanks Scott,

I believe that you are on the right track with the blend door. Where specifically would I find the blend door?

Is this a mechanical part in the Black box under the dash that holds the resistor?  I did have that bench tested for electrical but if it is a vacuum connection to open and close the door - it might go back to an adjustment in the STV.

At this point we have everything working as it should up to the firewall. The evaporator is getting cold but the cold air is not making it through to the car. the last things to look at under the hood is an adjustment to the Suction throttle Valve ( because I switched from R12 to 134A or a rebuild of the SVT I called Original Air in Florida - they were helpful and if this is the case I will send for a rebuild when I park the car for the winter.

Your help is greatly appreciated

79 Eldorado

Hi Chris,
The good news is your AC loop is working.

The blend or mix door will be an actual door. Yes it will be inside the black box under the dash or at least at the firewall interface between the box under the dash and the module under the hood.

I don't know the '71 well but before you pull things apart there will either be a cable or a vacuum line going to that door. If someone here can comment and tell you which they may even know, if it's vacuum, what color the vacuum line is.  If it is vacuum the specific line or the supply line may have slipped off or it could have developed a leak. The main vacuum supply could also be disconnected someplace between the engine compartment and the module under the dash. I had to repair the supply line in two '79 E-Bodies.

There is one other thing I had go wrong with a 1984 E-Body and that was something called a vacuum check relay. I replaced that in my '84 and in a friend's '83 as well. Both of our cars functioned perfectly except we had hot air all of the time. The only issue was that vacuum check relay. That was a semi automatic system though and I'm not certain when that part was introduced.

You are certainly getting close to solving your issue I think.

Scott

Cbelfay

Update

Thank you for your notes. I made some progress today as I was able to check the heater control unit that controls the blend door.  I Believe that the mechanical arm was not in the proper position and the retaining screw was loose. I was able to get the blend door working and will be testing the air and heat tomorrow. If there are still issues it will likely be an adjustment to the suction control valve ( or an overhaul of that) I got a quote of $175 US from original air.

I have my fingers crossed for now but I would welcome local contact who knows these cars and likes working on them. I am certain that there will be other challenges