News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

Squeaking noise on '61 Deville engine

Started by ZGJim, May 01, 2024, 08:30:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZGJim

The engine in my '61 Coupe DeVille has a high pitched squeaking noise that seems to be coming from the front of the engine.  The squeaking starts after the engine has warmed up to normal operating temp. 
We first thought it was the water pump.  That has been rebuilt.  The pulley on the power steering pump needed to be realigned with the crank/water pump pulleys.  The belts are new and tight.

While troubleshooting the belts, while the engine was hot, we removed both belts and the squeaking was still present.  The only things moving at the front of the engine were the crank pulley and the fuel pump.  Has anyone had this noise before? 

Thanks
Jim Leach
'61 coupe DeVille

Cadman-iac

I have had this happen on a Chevrolet motor once. The timing cover seal wasn't lubed enough during assembly and it squeaked horribly. Not sure but it might have been because of the repair sleeve on the balancer.

Try spraying a little bit of silicone lubricant on it to see if it has any effect on the noise.
Has the engine been rebuilt recently?

I had to remove the balancer and put some grease on the lip of the seal to stop it from squeaking.

Good luck with locating the noise. Hope this helps.

Rick
CLC# 32373
1956 Coupe Deville A/C car "Norma Jean"