News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

39 Split windshield center piece (photo)

Started by DKelly, February 22, 2024, 10:20:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DKelly

Hi all;
    Cand someone educate me on how this goes together? The plain strip you see is the 16 inch piece with the screws in that I have to make because I worked on it awhile ago and promptly lost it. I have resigned myself to making one  :( tho my shop is now spotless. If someone could tell me the order that it is placed would be greatly appreciate it. I also have a a wiring chart that shows guage and color of the wiring for this 39 S61 touring sedan that I can send anyone that might want it. I can't seem to post a quality picture of it so it you pm me with an email address I'll gladly sent it to you. Engine and dash.
Thanks
DK

DKelly

Stefan Bartelski (CLC Webmaster)

Please explain "can't post photos" in more detail, i.e how were your tring to post a photo and what error message do you get
Stefan Bartelski

webmaster@cadillaclasalleclub.org
470-253-4725

DKelly

Thanksforthe reply,I have tried dragging and droppingand and opening the folder and inserting. I resized them to 800x600. The post seems to load them ok but when i preview the post i just see the boxes no photos. I sent the post anyway but no photos showed up.
Thanks
DK

Stefan Bartelski (CLC Webmaster)

When you say drag and drop, are you dropping them on the "Click or drag files here to attach them" box? Or click on the box and navigate to the folder on your computer where you have stored your images. Select the images that you want, up to 10. 

Try that, it should also work when you Modify a post, to add pictures after the fact. Let me know if that solves the issue for you.

Stefan
Stefan Bartelski

webmaster@cadillaclasalleclub.org
470-253-4725

DKelly

Ihave donethatboth ways.
It works now thanksa bunch

Tom Boehm

Hello DKelly, Here are pictures of my 1940 Lasalle 50 series. 1939 series 61 should be the same. There are two outside pieces and one inside piece. On the outside, the threads are attached to a separate strip underneath the top one. The threads go through holes in the top strip. These two strips are spot welded together and then the assembly is welded to the car. On the inside, the threaded hole is for the rear view mirror. That hole goes closer to the roof. Don't install it upside down. There is a separate small trim piece that covers the gap between the vertical and the two ends of the windshield molding. The screws that hold the inside and outside vertical pieces together are chrome plated oval head phillips head machine thread. The windshield molding is attached by the same except sheet metal thread. This is one of the very few places on the car where phillips head is correct. The stainless decorative piece snaps on over the two outside strips without any fasteners. In your picture, the two lower black pieces do not look familiar.
Let me know if you still have questions.

Tom Boehm

Here are two pages from the 1939-1940 fisher body manual. This is the only place I know of in factory literature where this part is mentioned.

DKelly

Thanks Tom, always bailing me out. Here are some more pics. It is a little different than yours, i think. The piece with the studs has to be made by me that is the flat piece of metal in the pic. I looks like yours goes inside out where mine looks opposite. The windshield might have been replaced at one time by somone. The black weatherstrip is from my purchase of the weatherstrip and center pieces from caddy daddy. I'm not sure if the piece with the raised center goes on the inside or outside to split the center. The chrome cap does snap over the metal strip on the car. The metal strip has 4 holes in it that are not tapped, I figure that is where the studs pass through. It also looks to me to pass through from the outside in, in my pictures where yours looks to be from the inside out. This shouldn't be that difficult to figure out but I guess for me it is.
Thanks
DK

Tom Boehm

DKelly