News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 Fleetwood 75 by Derham - Former Rockefeller Car - Project $10,000

Started by JimJordanOKC, April 19, 2024, 12:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimJordanOKC

WE have lost storage and are selling our 1956 Limo originally owned by John D Rockefeller Jr.  It has been stored since 1973 and needs a FULL restoration.  The lower body is straight and solid but where the thick padded top was has LOTS of holes.  We were going to replace the roof skin from a donor cars and put a new padded top over it.  The family we purchased it from boughy it in 1962 when Mrs. Rockefeller traded it in.  I have documentation proving its provenance.  allante93jj@aol.com or text (405)201-7672

Bryan J Moran

That's a Derham anlright.  Interesting.
CLC 35000 in number only

V63

With wealth associated with the name, seems air conditioning was an oversight?

James Landi

With wealth associated with the name, seems air conditioning was an oversight?

Interesting car and very interesting question.. Perhaps Lexi/CLay will have some thoughts. hoping a CLC member inspects it.  Thanks for posting... all those years of storage...begs a host of questions.   James

Bryan J Moran

I and others love LWB cars and Derhams but that is too much for me at my old age.
CLC 35000 in number only

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: V63 on April 19, 2024, 08:26:03 PMWith wealth associated with the name, seems air conditioning was an oversight?
Doubt it.   Some people with wealth don't like spending money.   That is why they have wealth.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

V63

Well,  i guess ..... a custom Derham Cadillac limousine does show some restraint.

JimJordanOKC

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) on April 21, 2024, 07:55:44 PMDoubt it.   Some people with wealth don't like spending money.   That is why they have wealth.

Bruce, I have a letter from the dealer when Mrs. Rockefeller was trading in in in 1962 assuring her that she was getting trade credit for 2 USED snow tires on the deal for a 1962 Park Avenue (Also with Derham conversion by the way)

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: JimJordanOKC on April 22, 2024, 10:05:46 AMBruce, I have a letter from the dealer when Mrs. Rockefeller was trading in in in 1962 assuring her that she was getting trade credit for 2 USED snow tires on the deal for a 1962 Park Avenue (Also with Derham conversion by the way)
Ha ha.   Just as I thought.   Got to save every cent.   Try that these days.

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

jwwseville60

This is a very cool car.
My biggest issue with limos is twofold: the drivers seat is cramped for anyone over 5 foot 8 since the division prohibits seat movement rearward.
Then you have the vision problem. How did the chauffeur merge into right lanes?
1960 Eldorado Seville, Copper, "IKE"
1961 CDV, gold, "Goldfinger"
1964 Eldorado, Turquoise, "Billy the Squid"
1963 De Ville Station Wagon Vista roof, silver blue, "Race Bannon"
1963 Fleetwood 60S, turquoise, "The Miami Special"
1959 Sedan Deville flat top, tan, "Jupiter-2"
1947 Caddy Sedanette 62, black, "Johnny Cash"
1970 ASC Fleetwood wagon, dark blue, "Iron Maiden"
Lifetime CLC

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: jwwseville60 on April 23, 2024, 10:01:16 AMThis is a very cool car.
My biggest issue with limos is twofold: the drivers seat is cramped for anyone over 5 foot 8 since the division prohibits seat movement rearward.
I suppose these days it could be a case for Discrimination.   Maybe the owners wanted small drivers so they would sit low and be virtually invisible.

I don't think the makers cared about the driveability of the car as the owners wouldn't be actually driving them.

I tried to drive Jerry Steinards '76 Limo, and it was so uncomfortable, I simply couldn't. (I am 6'6")

1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1960 Cadillac CDV

Lexi

Quote from: jwwseville60 on April 23, 2024, 10:01:16 AMThis is a very cool car.

Yes, I have noticed that the Cadillac Limos I have driven seem to be designed for drivers of standard or below average height. Even if you are short but have a beer gut, forget it as the steering wheel will often cram one's mid section. Front seat movement is restricted due to the interior bulkhead which separates the front cabin from the rear "salon" as GM called it. Another reason why 6 way seats introduced in 1956 were not an option for the Series 75. Just 2 way seats, (front and back motion only). Limos are more dangerous to drive due to that massive RH blindspot and no side view mirror there either. Also, if the Divider window is raised it picks up reflections from vehicles in front of you that for a moment appear behind you which can be extremely unnerving if only for a fraction of a second. It can be dangerous & play tricks on your mind when driving and cause you to believe there are vehicles in a space where there is nothing. I believe it is linked or related to the psychological term Illusory Motion & Induced Movement. It can be dangerous, which is why I don't drive around with my Division Window up, always half down. I once had an opportunity to buy a '56 Derham but had to pass as I had Lexi and no parking for another car. If I had the room I would seriously consider buying this, though I find myself studying storage options. Don't tell the wife. Would like to see some interior and engine bay shots. Clay/Lexi