News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Kent Moore Seal Expander tool J2623

Started by J. Russo, March 21, 2024, 10:29:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J. Russo

The leak in the rear seal of my 1941 Hydra-matic transmission has increased and I would like to replace the seal.

I am looking for the seal expander tool J2623 if anyone has one for sale.

Thank you
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

59-in-pieces

John,

If you would, kindly explain how this tool is used, and how it works.

I've never seen one, and maybe it could be used on my 47.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

J. Russo

After the driveshaft is removed, the use of the tool was explained to me as follows:

The tool slips inside the oil seal and then is expanded using the bolt on the side of the tool body.  The tool is then pulled rearward/out with a slide hammer. 
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

The Tassie Devil(le)

Be easy enough to make one up in a Lathe.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Try toolzguy on ebay. He sells used Kent Moore tools. I got my one from him along with all the other KM tools for my 54 CDV. His name is Bill Sawrey.
Phil

Mike Baillargeon #15848

I picked this one up at Harbor Freight.

It goes up 1 1/4"....the last time I used it was to pull a small pilot bearing.

https://www.harborfreight.com/slide-hammer-and-bearing-puller-set-5-piece-62601.html?_br_psugg_q=slide+puller

Mike
Mike
Baillargeon

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

J. Russo

Quote from: PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192 on March 23, 2024, 03:03:20 AMHere's the link to his ebay store. https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/toolzguysobsoletespecialtytools

Thanks Phil. I sent him a message. He doesn't have it.
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

Joe G 12138

Quote from: 59-in-pieces on March 21, 2024, 01:08:12 PMJohn,

If you would, kindly explain how this tool is used, and how it works.

I've never seen one, and maybe it could be used on my 47.

Have fun,
Steve B.
Steve: That puller is specifically made for hydramatics through the mid '50's, so it would work on a '47. It's quite versatile and works on many others. Here's in action on a '95 Chevrolet van (4L60? transmission.100_9513.jpg

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Quote from: J. Russo on March 23, 2024, 03:05:33 AMThanks Phil. I sent him a message. He doesn't have it.
I live in England so I can't lend you mine. Mine is actually out on loan right now but the man I lent it to has had it copied I'll see if he's got the specifications for it.

J. Russo

Quote from: PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192 on March 23, 2024, 03:46:15 PMI live in England so I can't lend you mine. Mine is actually out on loan right now but the man I lent it to has had it copied I'll see if he's got the specifications for it.

I was looking at different pipes online. I may be able to make something similar with a flared piece of straight exhaust pipe.

Any other pipe suggestions are welcome.

Thank you
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

How do I post photos on here now? I have thevdrawings for this tool. Phil

J. Russo

Quote from: PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192 on March 25, 2024, 07:43:43 PMHow do I post photos on here now? I have thevdrawings for this tool. Phil

Phil,

If you click on "More" under your comment, then select "Modify" you can select photos to add.
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Here's photos of the sketches the engineer made to reproduce this tool. The dimensions are in millimetres.

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Quote from: J. Russo on March 25, 2024, 07:48:32 PMPhil,

If you click on "More" under your comment, then select "Modify" you can select photos to add.
Thanks for that. I had to post the comment then edit it to have the "more" option!

J. Russo

Well folks.........

After all the questions and help on this post, I was able to go in through the side of the frame and pry the seal out easily with a screwdriver.

I'm a little concerned as it seemed too easy. The seal number is 15142 which the same part number that Northwest Transmission sold me.

My guess also is that it is not an original seal. This transmission was serviced in 2007 according to the previous owner's records.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a better quality seal I could install.

I appreciate the help.
Thanks,
John Russo
CLC Member #32828

The Tassie Devil(le)

Nothing wrong with removing the seal that way.   Sometimes things just have to be done differently.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon