News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

REPLACING 54 CADDY HOOD SPRING UPDATE

Started by 59edsel, August 25, 2014, 11:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

59edsel

CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN TO ME HOW TO REPLACE THE HOOD SPRING,   WHAT TOOL TO USE OR SOME INFORMATION TO DO IT.  THANKS MIKE  THE HOOD SPRING BROKE AND I GOT A EXACT REPLACEMENT  I NEED TO REINSTALL  IT. I SHOULD OF GIVEN MORE INFO, THANKS MIKE

dadscad

Morning Mike, This is how I've removed and installed hood springs on my 63. If your spring is still on the hinge, position the hood so the spring is pulled out as far as it will go and you can obtain access to the spring. Get some big washers that are about the same size as the spring coil diameter and as thick as the space between the coil. Insert those washers between the coils, then raise the hood to relax the spring. Use a stick to hold the hood up then lift the spring off the hinge. Reverse the procedure to install the spring. It does not take a washer between all the spring coils, just enough to keep it stretched out to be loose on the hinge spring hooks. Be careful with the spring, it will be under tension with the washers between the coils. Hope this helps, David
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

RobertM

I did pretty much the same with my '54, but with wrenches...
Bob Melms

1954 60 Special
1995 Sedan Deville
1999 Eldorado (RIP 2018)
Connecticut, USA

Dave Ventresca

the proper way to remove the spring on your 54 cad is to take a heavy pry bar, a little longer than a jack handle , and clamp a chain about midway and use the frame for leverage to remove the spring from below the car. The 52 shop manual shows what it looks like, and Im sure its the same for a 54. Dave

Viator Trudeau

Hi, the end wrench's in btwn. the coils is a great idea, on my '74 ELDO the spaces are only available W/ the hood down!!!  I will need to work on this.

V.Trudeau  # 8697