News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Trunk misaligned

Started by ZGJim, February 18, 2024, 05:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZGJim

The trunk lid on my '61 Coupe Deville does not align with the trunk opening.  The problem seems to be that the passenger side hinge is holding the lid too far back.  See attached pictures.  The passenger side hinge is about 1 1/8" from the body, while the driver side is about 3/4' from the body.  I can't see any obvious damage to the hinge, but I would think that the hinges should be in the same position relative to the body.
Has anyone seen this problem or know how to correct it?

Thanks for all knowledge and assistance.
Jim Leach
'61 coupe DeVille

The Tassie Devil(le)

Have a look to see if there is any bending of the hinge itself.

I notice that your right side torsion bar, which actually operates the pressure to the left hinge is set at the highest level of tension.   Is the Left one the same?

In the past, the lid might have been forced upwards by wind etc. when it was open.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

ZGJim

I will check the tension rods.  Should they be set the same?

Thanks
Jim Leach
'61 coupe DeVille

Clewisiii

Here are my Fleetwood trunk hinges.

IMG_20240218_194446610.jpgIMG_20240218_194527248.jpgIMG_20240218_194459234.jpgIMG_20240218_194514760.jpg

Both sides measure about 7/8 of an inch from the trunk opening edge. This is without a trunk lid on.

IMG_20240218_194633961.jpg
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

59-in-pieces

James,

Admittedly, I know zip about 61's.

But, from the perspective of trunk lids in general, is the gap - reveal - the same on both sides of the rear of the trunk lid from the sheet metal behind the rear window.
If there is a bigger gap on the right side, can the trunk lid be repositioned from the top of the hinge, by adjusting loosening the mounting bolts between the lid and the hinge - push the lid back.

If the gap is the same, it sounds like a bent hinge, and as was said before, perhaps from the wind catching it as it was raised to the up position.

Have fun,
Steve B..
S. Butcher

ZGJim

I think the 7/8" dimension is what it should be.  That is where the driver's side is and it fits properly at the back edge.  My initial thought was that the hinge arm is bent, it just seems like such a sturdy piece that it is hard to imagine it getting bent out of shape.
Is it possible to remove the arm from the hinge box?  Is there a source for replacement parts?  I haven't found any so far.
I did move the lid as far up on the arm as possible and it didn't make much difference.
Thanks for all the input so far.
Jim Leach
'61 coupe DeVille

The Tassie Devil(le)

There has to be a way to take out the hinge arm as it was installed in position after all the welding was done.

If you have a good look up in there, there could be a hinge pin with a head on it, and where it goes into the mounting bracket, it could be retained from falling out by a piece of tin that is bent over.

You would have to remove the torsion bars to accomplish this, but be careful, as there is a lot of energy built up in these bars.   Plus, take pictures BEFORE you start, so you know how it all goes back together.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

ZGJim

I had a closer look and you are exactly right.  The pivot pin looks very much like a door pin and there is a tab bent down to hold it in position.  Will have to get the lid off and then dissassemble the hinges and figure out a way to correct the bend in the passenger arm.  Looks like fun times ahead.

Thanks for all the advice.  Will update when I get it sorted.
Jim Leach
'61 coupe DeVille

Moody

That type of bend can happen if there was something in the trunk which stopped the hinge from moving when it was being closed. Since you're removing the lid, pull both hinges and make the offending one match the other one. Much easier, and safer, off the car.
Moody

ZGJim

Finally got time to remove the trunk hinge straps and the passenger side strap was bent and twisted.  Found a replacement on CJs Cadillac Parts.  They shipped the next day and it fit exactly as it should.  Trunk is now aligned and contacting the seal correctly.

Thanks for the advice.

Jim
Jim Leach
'61 coupe DeVille