News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

56 Axle bearing play

Started by junkyard junky, March 07, 2024, 10:53:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyard junky

Been working on my 56 Coupe getting it back ready for the road after sitting. Replaced all the metal and rubber brake lines along with the wheel cylinders. Checked the passenger side axle shaft out and it had some in/out play. I measured .027. Looked in the shop manual and it didn't say anything. Several years ago I had a problem with that backing place getting hot. Guessing there shouldn't be any play in the axle shaft/ bearing. Didn't know if anyone had any experience with this style of axle. Jonathan

Chopper1942

I am not real sure about a 56 Caddy, but all the other GM cars have no end play in the axles. The bearing were pressed on and then a retainer was pressed onto the axle. GM axles didn't have any end play until they started using C clips to retain the axles in the 70's.