News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

84-85 Eldo Convertibles

Started by Mike, August 13, 2009, 06:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

I have a question concerning the different types of convertible tops on the 84-85 Eldorados.   I've noticed that the hinges are usually very large, and kind of stick up above the body of the car when the top is down.   However, I recently saw one going down the road with the top down, and I could have sworn the top hinges were completely below the edge of the body.   I could only see the windshield latches sticking up a little bit, but the rest of the top seemed to be completely down in the top well.   Did the different companies that made tops for these have different ways of making the hinges, and was one more of a lower profile that the other one?

Mike

76eldo

All of the "factory" convertibles were converted by ASC, and the tops do stick up slightly, but look pretty nice when the boot is snapped on.  There were some Hess and Eisenhardt customs too, and the top is completely different, but fits about the same way.  I have one of each and can tell you that they are totally different, as is the back seat treatment and rear quarter upholstery.

Once the mechanism draws the top down, just push it down some more, making sure it's not hung up on the top of the back seat.

Brian
Brian Rachlin
Huntingdon Valley, Pa
I prefer email's not PM's rachlin@comcast.net

1960 62 Series Conv with Factory Tri Power
1970 DeVille Conv
1970 Eldo
1970 Caribu (?) "The Cadmino"
1973 Eldorado Conv Pace Car
1976 Eldorado Conv
1980 Eldorado H & E Conv
1993 Allante with Hardtop (X2)