News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

Cadillac 346 Flathead crankshaft rod bearing problem with grinding the shaft

Started by Ron Parker, March 27, 2019, 07:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Parker

The bolt on counter weights are over the rod journals by 1/8th "and the crank can not be ground all the way. Has anyone else had this problem? Are all the cranks this way? I have read that the counter weights should not be removed. I am thinking of boring the rod bearings to give them clearance on the uncut part of the crank. I made an arbor the size of the crank on the lathe and clamped my old rod bearings on with a hose clamp leaving 1/4" out. I used a sharp tool at high rpm and took off .010 . It looks good .The alternative would be to narrow the bearing. Any thoughts? Thanks Ron Parker

Paul Phillips

Ron
The counterweights can be removed for machining, though it is a bit of a challenge due to the OE screws. Plan on the possibility you may end up destructively removing the screws. Mark the counterweights so they can go back in the same place. We ended up using socket head screws & cutting down the heads so they sit flush with the counterweights. Red Loctite helps make sure things stay put.  Bearing inserts are available in normal oversize ranges for mains & rods. I sourced mine from Terrill Machine, but there are other choices.

Hope this helps!
Paul
Paul Phillips CLC#27214
1941 60 Special (6019S)
1949 60 Special (6069X)
1937 Packard Super 8 Convertible Victoria
1910 Oakland Model 24 Runabout

Ron Parker

Thanks,I am still wondering if all the 346 cranks are like this. I have another to rebuild and it will be easier now that I have learned some of the tricks. Ron Parker

Steve Passmore

The cranks are not the same in that the early engines had these screws but from the start of WW2 they had changed the counterweight fixings to bolts.  It will depend on what year your engine Ron.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

Daniel Szydel

Ron
I just removed the counter weights on an engine I’m rebuilding and it wasn’t a huge deal. If it’s the slotted screw head, take a small drill and remove as much of the curl of metal that’s in the slot. Use chisels and a pick to get the rest of it out. I used a drag link socket bit and a big breaker bar to get the bolts out. The key is to get something that fits the slot really well. I layed it on the floor and pushed it against the work bench leg while someone helped brace it.

The bottom of the weight has hollow dowel pins so you may have to tap it off.

Dan
1946 Cadillac Convertible
1931 Ford Model A Coupe

Ron Parker

Thanks, Thats cool to see. Are you going to use the same bolts or use a socket head bolt? Are you going to use red locktite or just torque it?This is my first Flathead and it has been a learning experience. Ron Parker

Daniel Szydel

Ron

I ended up using a crank out of a 48 engine which had the hex head bolts.  That was put back together with red locktite.  I have a post in the restoration section titled 1946 convertible project underway where I explain what happened.
I did buy Allen bolts that I planned on using with red locktite.  Of course you will have to open up the counterbore in the weight and check thread depth in the crank.   

dan
1946 Cadillac Convertible
1931 Ford Model A Coupe

The Tassie Devil(le)

Any alterations in this area will require the whole shebang to be re-balanced.

Which is what I do with any engine I rebuild that requires crankshaft machining, boring, and piston replacement, especially when going for higher compression pistons.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon