News:

Please view the post in the Forum Support forum, it has a poll about making a dark mode (i.e. dark color screens instead of bright white) available. This can be of interest for those that access the forums from a mobile device as dark screens use less battery power. But we need to know whether enough people want this before investing the time to install an extra mode.

Main Menu

Carter WCFB 365 engine data for CO exhaust anylysis

Started by Hillbillycat, September 03, 2021, 06:34:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hillbillycat

Hi,

I plan to have my carb setting checked with a CO analyzer. It probably runs a tad too lean.

Any values available on what the CO at the exhaust tip should read?

James Landi

Not certain anyone would have that reading...here's a suggestion: if you're not familiar with the amazing utility and diagnosis capability of an inexpensive vacuum gauge, I suggest that you use this tool instead.  You'll have so much important information, not only about your new carburetor, but more importantly, the over all "health" of you're car's engine.   Hope this helps, James

Lexi

V63

I use a carburetor spray and spritz it into the carburetor, If it chokes it, it's towards rich...if it increases RPM then it's too lean

fishnjim

In combination with the O2, CO2, and HC readings, the CO and HC should be as low as they can but are related.   CO will go up fast once you pass stoich air/fuel (lean) which is about 14% XS air.
Has to kinda be optimized for your car's condition as there's no catalytic here either.  Burning oil, blow by, etc.  Search the internet, there's lots of info out there what to expect.   Most maybe with catalytics, but the trends are the same, values aren't.   
You're more or less just trying to make sure it's adjusted OK, rather than by "ear".   

eg:https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1876610217301996

Hillbillycat

I have a vacuum gauge and used it to set the carb when I had it rebuilt with a kit from Daytona parts.
However I´m taking the car to the shop to have the carb adjustment checked via an exhaust analysis (CO-metering), since I have this knock when hot (see other thread) and spark plugs indicate a slight lean condition.

I just wanted to check if there´s a certain value for our old Cadillacs that I can tell them when I bring the car. They do a lot of classics but I just wanted to provide as much info as possible.

How do I know if I need a different set of main jets? When the carb can´t be richened (is that even a word?) enough with the mixture screws?

That tip with the carb cleaner down the  carb is a good idea. That can be done in a wink.