News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

‘41 Hydramatic tech question

Started by AdamS, May 12, 2023, 10:52:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdamS

Hi:

Looking for some insight here. '41 62 series with Hydramatic. There's a bit of a leak from the front of the transmission. Car is up on a lift and cleaned things up to monitor the drip source. Question is can the driveshaft be removed and the tranny slid back far enough to get to the potential leak source? Or does the engine need to come out with the transmission?

Transmission is from a '46 or '47, by the way.

Thanks for any guidance.
=Adam=
Hollis, NH USA

'41 62 Convertible Coupe
'32 Pierce-Arrow Club Sedan
'24 Packard Touring Car

Gone, but not forgotten:
'37 75 Fleetwood Convertible Sedan
'35 Packard Convertible Coupe
'52 Hudson Hornet
'47 Packard Custom Super Clipper
'57 Chevrolet Bel-Air
'36 60 Sedan (wish I could forget about this one🤪)

Joe Jensen

Adam:

I think you should plan on removing the transmission.  The torus is bolted to the flywheel with a gasket and snap rings hold the torus components to the transmission that you can't get to while the transmission is in place.  If you are lucky, you might just need a new torus gasket to solve your problem (even better if it is just the torus drain plug leaking). You  could replace the torus gasket with the transmission pulled back.  Other than the torus leaking, the only other seal is the front pump seal and pump housing gasket that could be leaking.  Both require the transmission out to replace.

I have included an attachment showing the torus.  You should try googling 1941 Hydra-matic service manual.  I seemed to have found at one time (maybe from this forum).

Good luck!
Joe

AdamS

Quote from: Joe Jensen on May 12, 2023, 11:53:37 PMAdam:

I think you should plan on removing the transmission.

@Joe Jensen:

Thanks for the info. I have the transmission manual and gave that to the shop. Question is, can the transmission be removed with the engine in place? Shop says is doesn't look like it. If so, any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks.
=Adam=
Hollis, NH USA

'41 62 Convertible Coupe
'24 Packard Touring Car

Gone, but not forgotten:
'52 Hudson Hornet
'57 Chevrolet Bel-Air

Jeff Hansen

Quote from: AdamS on May 13, 2023, 06:31:05 AMQuestion is, can the transmission be removed with the engine in place?

Yes, it can.  The procedure is outlined in the '41 Hydra-Matic service manual and '42 and up shop manuals.

Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

AdamS

@Joe Jensen, got it. Pages 31-32 of the manual. Thanks!
=Adam=
Hollis, NH USA

'41 62 Convertible Coupe
'24 Packard Touring Car

Gone, but not forgotten:
'52 Hudson Hornet
'57 Chevrolet Bel-Air

Joe Jensen

Adam:

I don't know how similar the frame is on your '41 compared to my '49.  On my '49 the torus end of the transmission has to drop down (tail end of the transmission still above the x in the frame) to where the top of the transmission on the torus end gets below the flywheel.  I didn't have a lift to use so I had to get the car on the highest point of my jack stands.  I used ratchet straps around a 2x4 running across the floor board with the transmission access panel removed.  I used 1 ratchet strap per side that way I could lower 1 side at a time,little by little.  Not sure I would try this on a lift.  You might come up with a better plan or stack up pallets so if the transmission got away from you it wouldn't crash to the ground.

If you have the transmission hoist called out in the repair manual then you have it made, without any of the improvised tools I mention above.

It was recommended to me to use Pliobond 30 on the torus gasket.  I found I could order it from an aircraft supply store online.  You might check that out.  My torus has been sealed up a couple years now. 

Good luck!
Joe

AdamS

Hi @Joe Jensen:

Super tips, thanks. The shop has transmission hoists and he's an old timer, been building racing transmissions for eons; last of a dying breed. Pliobond 30 - will add that to my arsenal of 'stuff'.
=Adam=
Hollis, NH USA

'41 62 Convertible Coupe
'24 Packard Touring Car

Gone, but not forgotten:
'52 Hudson Hornet
'57 Chevrolet Bel-Air