News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'85 Eldorado Bumper Fillers

Started by jgalin, November 28, 2023, 03:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgalin

I have a 1985 Eldorado that requires new front and rear bumper fillers.  Suggestions from members on the correct material, general advice, and leads of installers in the Chicago area would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

smokuspollutus

Buy a set of the flexible replacements for the front corners. They fit the best overall. Leave the ones under the headlights alone.

For the rear ABS is your best bet. The rears are easier to do than most other models.

James Landi

I've personally installed aftermarket fiberglass knock-offs--- attempting to fit the original brackets was not possible; as stated above, you'll need flexible ones.  I was able to attach the cheap fiberglass ones, and did a reason job rattle canning an approximate paint match.  You can spend a lot of money doing this ''right,'' or you can do what I've done on several occasions, that suit my purposes just fine.   

jgalin

@smokuspollutus, @James Landi
Thank you both for your input.  For the front corners are you therefore suggesting fiberglass?  Do I leave the ones under the headlights alone because they are difficult to replace?  Thanks.  Jim

smokuspollutus

No, no fiberglass. Those are the worst option. There is a vendor making flexible replacements for the front corners that are similar to the originals. They cost a bit more but are worth it as ABS/fiberglass are almost impossible to fit there.

The ones under the headlights are made out of a different material that don't seem to disintegrate. I would leave them alone as the new ones available for that spot are again either ABS or fiberglass and don't fit right.

The rears are only available in ABS or fiberglass but the ABS is a lot more forgiving to work with. Overall the rears are easy since there aren't really any body lines that have to line up perfectly with the fillers. Not the case with the front corner pieces which flow into the fender extensions.

jgalin

I really appreciate the feedback.  Do you happen to know the name of the vendor that makes the flexible front ones?  The ones under my headlights are actually in fine shape so I don't want to mess with them.  I am pretty sure, though, that I will have to remove the front bumper to get at the corner fillers. 
For the rear I will go with ABS.  Any suggestions on sources?  Thanks much.