News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Speedometer still not working

Started by Daffer, March 05, 2024, 01:02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daffer

I recently disconnected my speedometer cable on my 1950 cadillac series 62 and re-greased it as it was making a weird noise and the needle would start to tick. So I greased it up and tested it and still it makes a weird sound and ticks I even tested it with a brand new cable so I'm assuming it's something in the speedometer cluster that may be broken, has anyone had this happen and can share some advise.
Thanks, Joshua

The Tassie Devil(le)

G'day Joshua,

There could be a couple of things going on here.

Firstly, the gear in the transmission could be wearing out, which I think is highly unlikely.

Secondly, the Odometer gearing in the Speedo Head could be suffering from lack of lubricant, or also wearing out the teeth.   Remember that this mechanical action is transferring the rotation of the speedo cable to 90 degrees and another 90 degrees to end up rotating the Odometer wheels at another 90 degree turn.

The Needle is not physically attached to the rotation of the speedo cable, but the cable turns a magnet, and this magnetism acts on the disc that is attached to the speedo needle shaft.

Any ticking sound has to be mechanical, unless it is caused by the speedo needle swinging viscously forwards and then backwards via the hairspring, hitting the stops.

Attached are some pictures from my '60 Speedo that suffered a slipping disc (the solder had come loose) and the Odometer Gears grease had become sticky, and placed too much pressure on the gears to wear the teeth away.

One thing you can try before ripping everything out is to obtain a second speedo cable, and attach that to the Speedo head, and with a battery drill, turn the inner cable from the other end and observe what the speedo is doing.  (Battery Drills are reversible, and revolution controllable)

The last picture is of a 1972 Speedo, with the main difference being that the later ones use plastic gears.   Plus, the different gearing was when I was converting the odometer from Imperial to Metric.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Had that issue with our 55. Ended up getting a new cable.
What I suggest is that you jack up the rear and spin the wheels and look at the cable at the speedo end. Is it turning? Mine wasn't. Replaced the cable and it was better.
Then our speedo did a lot of ticking and needle dancing. We just drove it and it seemed to work itself out.

Jeff R
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Daffer

Quote from: Daffer on March 05, 2024, 01:02:12 PMI recently disconnected my speedometer cable on my 1950 cadillac series 62 and re-greased it as it was making a weird noise and the needle would start to tick. So I greased it up and tested it and still it makes a weird sound and ticks I even tested it with a brand new cable so I'm assuming it's something in the speedometer cluster that may be broken, has anyone had this happen and can share some advise.
Thanks, Joshua

So this message is just an update, good news got it working! I figured out the problem to be that the drive tip of the cable had to much wiggle room on the inside of the cable enough to where I was able to pull a about a 1/4 of an inch out the transmission side. So when I tested it with a drill I had to push the cable inward while I ran it. My solution I bought #6s brass washers pulled the inner cable through and threaded it to the drive tip. Ended up needing 9 washers, but I tested it by pulling on it with the drill running and my speedometer didn't jump and made no nois, so I screwed it back to the transmission and did a successful test drive!
-Joshua

Joe G 12138

It's nice to hear the happy ending! Thanks for posting the results and solution. So many people come to the Forum when they have a problem. But not as many come back when it's fixed. Thanks for passing this on!     Joe G