News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Thinking of selling my 56 Fleetwood..Ballpark valuation needed..

Started by jeff1956, June 20, 2009, 11:01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Youshock

Strange, too, that Cadillac invested so much money to air condition convertibles in 1956, then totally revamped the cars in '57.

Those were the days!
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

jeff1956

Quote from: Jeffrey Klinner on June 23, 2009, 12:16:55 AM
Jeff Ive looked up the color codes.  Your car appears to be cape ivory but has the number of pecos beige.  Any thoughts?

Here are the shots of the color chips cape ivory and pecos beige against the paint on the car.  Also, a shot of the cowl against the paint on the car.  The cowl and underhood area has its original paint.  As you can see, the paint is not cape ivory, but it's not quite pecos beige either.  I figure the guy mixing the paint got it "close enough" and then the car was sprayed hoping the owner wouldn't notice or care that it was a hair off.  I'm not the one who had the car painted so I cannot give you the reasoning behind this, other than a speculation that it was mixed wrong and nothing was said about it.  The other conclusion could be that they didn't account for the fact that clear coat changes the color.  The original paint on the cowl is actually a shade off from the paint chip as well.  The difference is not that noticeable, especially outside, but they could've taken more time to get the color spot on, I will agree. It needed more brown, I believe to get it to the true Pecos Beige color. Everyone always comments on how pretty the color is though, especially women.  It's a chick magnet, and that would be good for me..if I liked older women, but I'm only 25. LOL

Jeff

jeff1956

Guys,

Thanks for all the wonderful interest that has been shown in my car, both here and in private correspondence.  I have decided, however, that I am going to remove it from the market.  She has been a part of my life for 10 years now, and this just seems the right thing to do.  We're a team, you don't see one without the other and I think if I were to sell her now, at this point, I'd regret it for quite some time.  I remember back watching my late mother work hard to pay for this car, knowing all the while, it was only because I wanted it so badly.  It was not because she had any real interest in a 56 cadillac.  Currently, I think it's best to hold onto her and keep enjoying her until the right time comes to pass her on to a new home.  Sentimental, I know...but it's funny how things turn around so quickly. 

Thanks Guys,

Jeff

DinoBob

Bob Belloff

Dan LeBlanc

You're a lucky man with a beautiful car.  I think you're doing the right thing!

I still regret selling my 1962 Coupe - it was the first car I restored and I wasn't quite done enjoying her yet.  If there's sentiment attached to the car, it'll be easy to regret selling her.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

jeff1956

Yes my late mother purchased this car for me after I had found it.  She worked hard for several years paying for it.  It was my 16th birthday AND high school graduation present.  I thought it was time to let her go, but I see now that I was mistaken. 

Jeff

Walter Youshock

Keep it.  With the family history and the length of time you have it, you'd eventually regret parting with it.

My '57 and I have been together for 16 TURBULENT years.  It's driven me to madness, shattered my bank account several times, but has been a constant source of comfort and familiarity.  Plus, my parents mortgaged the house so I could buy it.  The one payment I was always sure to make was THAT one!  And I've been paying ever since...

More than once, I considered putting a "FREE TO BAD HOME" sign on it!!!!  Instead, I willed it to the CLC Museum.  So, it will be the Club's problem child someday!

Cadillacs are like potato chips--you can't have just one!
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

John Paul

Walter,   
   You willed you car to the CLC ?? are you for real?? and all this time I thought you were going to give it to Me...  ::) I want to be burried in my car like in the movie Used Cars... thy could even put me in the trunk.. lot's of room.. ;D

Carfreak

Quote from: John Paul on June 25, 2009, 01:32:05 PM
Walter,   
   You willed you car to the CLC ?? are you for real??

JP,

Its a well known secret that there is a special place reserved in Cadillac Heaven for those persons who donate or bequeath their beloved Cadillacs & LaSalles (or $$$, artwork, memorabilia, stocks, bonds, etc.) to the CLC Museum & Research Center

You can check with your favorite CPA; the M&RC is absolutely a charitable organization as recognized by the IRS Code Section 501(c)(3) and donations are deductible as permitted by tax law.    :D
Enjoy life - it has an expiration date.

Walter Youshock

CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

John Paul

Well Guess what... I'm keppen mine!! taken it to the grave with me, and as for any money HA!!  I plan on spending every last dime of it too...pprobleyon my cadillacs or some other such nnonsense.

John Paul

Quote from: Walter Youshock on June 25, 2009, 02:48:57 PM
...and I need ALL the help I can get!!!

Who don't know that.. LOL :D  You must be in a pretty high Tax Bracket

Walter Youshock

It takes 14 graves to bury a car, plus a whole mess of legalities.

No, I'll never be wealthy and am not concerned about tax write offs.  Everything changes so quickly with that stuff.

I just feel better believing it will go to a good home and be taken care of.  My nephew made a comment about painting flames on it.  That was enough for ME!!!!
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

John Paul

That's all ??? I'm good for it... Now I need to have Fifthan Burial vaults build me a box...  ;D the head stone is going to be a killer.. :o

Dan LeBlanc

Quote from: Walter Youshock on June 25, 2009, 02:53:26 PM
I just feel better believing it will go to a good home and be taken care of. 

I'd take good care of it for you  ;D.  It's home would be my heated and air conditioned garage and would be only driven on sunny days when there is no humidity.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

Art

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on June 21, 2009, 02:35:47 PM

The current President of the Peach State Region paid more than twice the $7500 reported price for his car, which is both extremely original and extremely nice (I know first hand from him).  The first President of the Peach State Region (me) tried to by a 55 Series 62 Sedan in pristine condition (original in most respects, reb. engine, hi-$$ paint work) 3 years ago, but the seller wouldn't take less than $18,000 and the buyer wouldn't pay more than $14,000.  I think the seller was trying to take advantage of me since I sold him the car for about $9,000 some 10 years ago!

Prior to the economic crash of late, I would have pegged this car at more than $15,000, perhaps approaching $20,000.  Pecos Beige is an unusual color.  For the right buyer, this is a real plus (classic 50's pastel color).  Most people won't want it.

Now that the economy has collapsed, values for sedans have dropped a lot.  Coupes and convertibles are still doing pretty well, but sedans have really been hurt.  I saw a museum-quality 54 Fleetwood sell for $9800 recently (a picture of that car is my screen saver now).

I watch prices for 54-56 Fleetwoods pretty closely, as long-term I am hoping to get one (preferably a 54).   In this environment, I think you will be hard-pressed to get more than $10-12K.  I think the car is worth that and more.  But not at the moment.  If you want to get a good price, hold on to the car for a couple of more years.  If you have to sell it now, be prepared to get offers in the $8-12K range.  Sorry, but that is what I think.

Art G

Otto Skorzeny

Hi Art,

I would have sworn Stan told me $7500. Obviously I was wrong. Who knows why that number was stuck in my head.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Walter Youshock

Well, Dan...

If you had a black '62 Fleetwood with gray broadcloth interior, I could be tempted...........

CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

Art G

Quote from: Otto Skorzeny on June 25, 2009, 08:20:06 PM
Hi Art,

I would have sworn Stan told me $7500. Obviously I was wrong. Who knows why that number was stuck in my head.

You are off by $10,000 more or less exactly....

Art

Richard Sills - CLC #936

Walter, if you're looking for a black 1962 Fleetwood with gray broadcloth interior, check out "www.orlandoclassiccars.com".  I don't know anything about the car but it looks very sharp on the dealer's website.