News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

WTB 1956 Cadillac SDV RF Fender - Dallas Area.

Started by Fin Fan, February 16, 2010, 10:31:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fin Fan

Looking for an inexpensive 1956 Cadillac SDV RF fender.  Idealy I'd like to find one in the Dallas area that I could pick up.  Last week my carport caved in under the weight of some heavy snow - 12.5", a record for the Dallas area, and the Caddi's fender took the brunt of the tragedy.  Check out the picture - it made the local news! :'(
E. Szurek
1956 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
2009 Ford Focus SES

okccadman

Check with Bill's Classic Cars and Parts in Wichita Falls.  He has always been extremely friendly and reasonable.
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

Fin Fan

Thanks OKCCADMAN.  Just getting started on my search.  I'll give Bill a call.  Bought myself a sawzall today and am having all kinds of fun trying to dismantle the carport without doing any further damage.  It's actually going better than I expected and the damage is less than I expected.  No broken glass or any other body damage.  I'll keep you posted on how it goes.  Fin Fan
E. Szurek
2009 Ford Focus SES

okccadman

Good luck.  Looks like a nice 56.  If my carport collapses, Im more than likely homeless.
Jim Jordan CLC# 5374
Oklahoma City, OK

55 Series 62 Sedan
56 Series 62 Coupe
56 Fleetwood 75 Derham Limo
59 Fleetwood Sixty Special
66 Fleetwood Brougham
66 Superior Hearse/Ambulance
67 Fleetwood Sixty Special
68 Fleetwood Eldorado
76 Coupe de Ville d'Elegance
90 Brougham
92 Fleetwood Coupe
93 Allante
94 Fleetwood Brougham
02 Eldorado Commemorative Edition

Fin Fan

Thanks OKCCADMAN - don't even think like that!  Love the pic.
E. Szurek
2009 Ford Focus SES

Otto Skorzeny

I hate that!

A carport/shed collapsed under snow on my '56 F100 in '94. It crunched in the roof, and bent the driver's door frame on what was a really nice one owner truck(I was #2). Made me sick to my stomach.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

bill bradley

Quote from: Fin Fan on February 16, 2010, 10:31:23 PM
Looking for an inexpensive 1956 Cadillac SDV RF fender.  Idealy I'd like to find one in the Dallas area that I could pick up.  Last week my carport caved in under the weight of some heavy snow - 12.5", a record for the Dallas area, and the Caddi's fender took the brunt of the tragedy.  Check out the picture - it made the local news! :'(
[/q

i can check tomorrow0 to see what i have available
i live in wichita falls\
who would believe we -dallas have more snow than the olympics

bill

Fin Fan

All better now!  Well, at least the carport is gone.  Now comes the hard part - getting the Cadillac back to it's pre-tragedy condition.  Wish me luck.  Fin Fan
E. Szurek
2009 Ford Focus SES

Roger Zimmermann

Why are you searching for another front fender? OK, I don't see the damages but I assume it can be repaired without problem as the impact was probably slow.

Roger
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

I agree.   A good Panel Beater can repair anything, or make one if necessary.

Plus, the one you have, could actually be in better overall condition than one you find.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Roger Zimmermann

Quote from: The Tassie Devil(le) (Bruce Reynolds) on February 18, 2010, 06:36:25 AM
   A good Panel Beater can repair anything.

Bruce, are you sure that this kind of people still exist in the USA?

Roger
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

The Tassie Devil(le)

Quote from: Roger Zimmermann #21015 on February 18, 2010, 06:43:19 AM
Bruce, are you sure that this kind of people still exist in the USA?    Roger   
Oh, never thought of that. ;)

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Otto Skorzeny

FF, show us a picture of the damage to your car.
fward

Fin Fan

I'll get a pic up as soon as I can get home from work before the sun sets.  The fender took a really good karate chop!  No dents on the roof though - but it did get some scratches.  I was amazed at how little damage was done to either vehicle.  Thank you up there!!!!!!!
E. Szurek
2009 Ford Focus SES

Fin Fan

OK - so here's some pics of the bruised fender.  What do ya'll think?  Repair or replace.  Cost factor?  Fin Fan
E. Szurek
2009 Ford Focus SES

Fin Fan

One more..................
E. Szurek
2009 Ford Focus SES

jeff1956

If it were me I would just buy a decent one that is pretty much damage free.  I wouldn't waste my money on trying to repair that only for it to come out looking sub-par.  Then you'll just have to spend the money over again.   I'd much rather take a fender that has a good upper section and a rotted lower section and graft the lower section of your current fender to that one and repaint. That's my two cents.

Charlie Petty

If your car is rust, free, you now have the perfect fender that I needed a few months ago.  I was planning on replacing the section below the trim with a rust-free, dent-free section, as mine was dented and had battery acid corrosion.  It was so difficult to find such a piece, though, that I gave up and did the body work. 
While I wouldn't attempt it, yours looks like a good shop could do it justice.     

Roger Zimmermann

REpair! It's a small dent, nothing spectacular. 5 hammer blows and you'll see amost nothing! Did you notice that the hood has also a mall dent at the same place; are you also searching for another hood?
On the serious side: the dent on the fender was done slowly compared to an accident, in one direction. As somebody wrote, any good body shop will get it straight and you will see nothing. I'm not a panel beater, but I would repair this fender without problem.

Roger
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Otto Skorzeny

I too vote for repair. Unless you find a flawless, rust free example, you're going to have body work to do on a new one as well. There is a lot of metal to work with.
fward