News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Wanted: Classic-style Cadillac Wire Wheels

Started by benrobertson, March 08, 2010, 04:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benrobertson

Wanted: Chrome Wire wheels-15"- to fit a 1959 Cadillac Coupe De Ville. Not the old 1950s factory Kelsey Hayes wires, but modern ones (classic styje) with the large hubcaps. Must be in like new condition, no broken spokes, lifting chrome, rust, curb rash, damaged rim edges, etc. Must be American-Made, no Chinese or Third World made junk.

Ben Robertson, 713-772-2140 or ben.robetson@sbcglobal.net. Member #25852.
Ben Robertson CLC 25852

1959 Cadillac Coupe De Ville
1987 Ferrari 412 (one of 157 in USA)
1985 Maserati Quattroporte
1983 Maserati Quattroporte
1984 Maserati Biturbo
2003 Nissan 350Z

Otto Skorzeny

Hi Ben,

Try this company. 100% hand made in USA reproductions of Kelsey Hayes wire wheels.

http://www.cadillacworld.net/CadillacKelseyHayesWheelsforsale.html
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

benrobertson

Forrest,

Thanks, I checked those out. Kantor has American made wires for $1200 a set. Do not know how they compare to each other.

As I am going to do the Coupe De Ville in Candy Apple Red and all white leather, I thought a set of wires would set it off nicely.
I have a brand new set of Goodyear American Eagles, LR78x15, still in the paper wrapers, with blue on the twin white wall lines properly stored with no dry rot, set aside for this car.

I had American Eagles (correct me if I am wrong on the make) on a triple white 1958 Eldorado Brougham I bought in Dallas in 1962 (had 11,000 miles on it-cost $4295). Those tires had an inner tire you filled with air on the sidewall like airing up a basket ball. Blew  a front tire  out at speed and they did as advertised. Stopped straight, not in the bar ditch. I remeber they were extremely expensive to replace.

regards,
Ben
Ben Robertson CLC 25852

1959 Cadillac Coupe De Ville
1987 Ferrari 412 (one of 157 in USA)
1985 Maserati Quattroporte
1983 Maserati Quattroporte
1984 Maserati Biturbo
2003 Nissan 350Z

Otto Skorzeny

At half the price, Kantor's set looks pretty appealing. I don't know anything about them but I'm sure someone will chime in. So much of Kantor's stuff is made in China these days I'm surprised their rims are made in USA. Who knows, though?

The $1200 set that Kantor sells isn't really correct for the '59 though. They are the 70 spoke style from the 1970s.The center medallion is smaller diameter and not correct for '59 either - plus they charge you an extra $200 for them.

Kantor's other set compares more favorably to Mac Daddy with 48 spokes and correct looking caps for $1700. Still a lot less than MacDaddy.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

Ben Robertson

Forrest,

The extra cost of 4 extra spokes or stainless steel spokes would be worth the extra money. In 1960,I bought a 1954 Eldorado Convertible that had factory wire wheels. I ran it for 3 years before moving up to an Eldorado Brougham. The convertible,for such a heavy car,  would break spokes a lot. Enough to put you off wire wheels.

\Regards,
Ben

XGLEGAL

Ben/Forrest:  Perhaps you should check this source out as well....

http://hobbycar.com/cadillac.html
Xavier A. Gutierrez, Esq.  CLC # 24068
1957 Ser. 62 Conv.
1957 Eldo Biarritz
1957 CDV
1961 Ser. 62 Conv.