News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

51 Hood Crest

Started by ferdinard, March 10, 2010, 06:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ferdinard

I'm looking for a hood crest for my 51, I have called most places with no success.  Does anyone have or know where I can find a nice quality hood crest for my 1951 sedan (62 series)?
F. Crawford

Otto Skorzeny

Have you tried McVey's? Their catalog lists one for $131.
fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

ferdinard

yes, they do not have one.  I get most of my parts from them, craig is a great resource.
F. Crawford

Otto Skorzeny

Are they not making them anymore or something?
fward

ferdinard

Craig stated that they do not have the mole for that crest.
F. Crawford

Otto Skorzeny

They have a photo of one in their catalog so they must have had the mold at some point. I wonder what gives?
fward

ferdinard

I bought the truck crest from them and thats when I was told that they don't have and will not have the hood crest.  I have purchased 20 to 30 parts from them and would hope that I have built a good relationship with them.
F. Crawford

Otto Skorzeny

Yes. They are a great company. Top quality parts and service all the way.

I was just curious why they used to sell a hood crest for every year of the 1950s and now don't have the 51. I don't think they're pulling the wool over your eyes or anything like that, it just seems strange that they told you they had no mold for the crest yet they clearly must have had one at one time because the finished product is pictured in their 2007 catalog.
fward

ferdinard

It is strange, I had one person email me and tell me that they would get me one for $750.  I guess they thought I was born last night!  I have no ill feeling toward McVey's they have always sold me good parts.  If you notice no one has replied and told me where I can find one. 
F. Crawford

Jeffrey Burland

The 50-52 are the same, right?
Jeff Burland, Just one guy with too many 54-76 restorables and parts to list
https://www.facebook.com/WillingtonCadillac/

Otto Skorzeny

No. They're all different sizes and shapes.

Try USA parts. They often sell some of the same products as McVey. Perhaps they have one laying around if they got it from the same place as McVey used to.

fward

ferdinard

Just sent them an email, hopefully they can help.
F. Crawford

Roger Zimmermann

McVey had a large problem with GM some years ago as they did not paid the right to reproduce parts. That may explain the situation.

Roger
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Jeffrey Burland

Whoops, I was thinking hood ornaments. Sorry. Getting old is hell....
Jeff Burland, Just one guy with too many 54-76 restorables and parts to list
https://www.facebook.com/WillingtonCadillac/

ferdinard

Otto,
I had no luck with USA Parts, I did find one but it is stracthed and one of the tabs is broken.  Just my luck!
F. Crawford

Kristian Gustafsson

Ferdinard,

Try KS-import in Trollhättan in Sweden. I thougt I saw the plastic insert (not bezel) for 1951 Hood when I visited their shop recently. I guess it was a Mcveys repro. Maybe in stock since Mcveys did sell them.

www.ksimport.se

good luck

Kristian Gustafsson/Sweden

If anybody know where to find hood crest plastic insert, NOS or perfect repro for 1950 please contact me
Kristian Gustafsson

Kelly Hansen

I recently acquired a couple of fairly decent originals.   I know for sure they are not 54,55,56,57,or58.
1952 was the golden annirversay for Cadillac, and I think from that point and the rest of the 50's the bezels were gold.  Both on the ones I have are chrome not gold.

There are two crests neither of them are flat so I don't think they are for the trunk.  Both slightly are diffrent I'm thinking maybe a 50 and a 51.  Do you know any of the measurements on the 50 or 51 hood crest or the placement of the screws on the back that might help me tell what they are?

I have the bezels and platic inserts.

Maybe I can help you out, if I know what I have.