News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Looking for diesel temp sensor 78-83 or at least part number

Started by TJ Hopland, August 22, 2010, 10:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJ Hopland

The sensor I am after I believe is a coolant temp sensor but its possible its just a metal temp.  It has 2 terminals on it, not grounded and is open till 120*F at which point it closes.  Its on the left rear corner of the intake.  Its used on the diesels for fast idle and part of the glow plug circuit. My car is a 80 eldo but I believe it was the same sensor on all the diesels till around 83 when it was replaced my some sort of control module. I have looked at several places online and have not seen it listed. Even an original part number would be a help tracking one down.  If I cant find the exact sensor I am looking for a catalog that gives the specs of various sensors so I can come up with something close, any links to such a place would be great.  The latest version of the books at the few parts stores I have checked with dont give as many specs as the older books did.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

W.Smith CLC#10344

Hi, I looked it up in my parts book...here is the info.....There are 2 Coolant switches according to the book for 1980 Eldo diesel.Both are Group # 1.150....part# 25036506 is called a Coolant Temp Switch [It doesnt give where it is located,but somewhere on the engine] ...part# 25036582 is called a Coolant Metal Temp. Switch and says its located on the Left rear side of the cylinder head.Your engine is called out as a 350N...RPO [Regular Production Option] LF9.I don't know where to tell you to find this part but I have had some luck simply Googling the part# and finding that way. Good luck...., Bill

TJ Hopland

Thanks for looking.  Those are the 2 standard sensors for the dash lights.   The one I am looking for must not be called a coolant sensor which could be why I cant find it listed anywhere.  Its only used on the diesels and its primary function is for fast idle solenoid. Its shown in all the electrical diagrams for 78-83.  From what I can tell there are 4 sensors that go into the coolant.  The two for the dash lights, the multi pin glow plug controller, and the fast idle one I am looking for.   There are also 2 that look like oil pressure switches.  One is up by the water pump and the other is on the left head sort of like the temp sensors on the chevs but based on the thread size I think its still a pressure sensor. 

TJ Hopland

After some more reading I find out that this sort of switch is a very common way to control the fast idle on diesels.  I have found references to them being used on fords and Gm's into the '90's but even looking up those cars does not turn up the part for those engines.  Its like it does not fall into any of the categories the way everyones computers are set up. 

W. Smith CLC #10344

Hello again, Do you see the part in the drawing that is attached.....from a parts book.....if so tell me what # it is and I can look it up that way, Bill

TJ Hopland

Interesting that its not in the picture.   It should be above 25 next to that thing that looks like an upside down ignition coil.

I did get a nice parts guy at one of the local Cad dealers today.  He spent a fair amount of time looking and was able to identify the similar part for an 92 pickup and then using that group number went back and found something called a throttle switch in the Cadillac book.  That part number is 1606785.  On Napa's site that crosses to the TPS for the Bendix multi port system.  Interestingly enough he gave me a few dealers that in theory had it on the shelf.  Too bad I dont need one of those.    The truck part number is 10154649.  My guess is that it has metric threads but who knows maybe mine does also.  It does not cross in the Napa catalog but several dealers stock it so I may just go look at it to see if I can get lucky and its the same threads. 

There is also a 25036601 that is listed as a EFE switch for 80's little cars.  Its $20 and can be ordered from Napa.  Its got a 3/8 pipe thread.  Echlin TS 6709.   I cant find any data saying what temp it operates at.

When I was talking to the parts guy I wrote down 1892579.   Description is 'fuel inj S'.   I found it online for $69 but no better description and no photo. 

Otto Skorzeny

fward

Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for YOURSELF

HUGE VENDOR LIST CLICK HERE

TJ Hopland

The link did not save the search or cart.   That was the 25036601?   I know that one is easy to get I just wanted specs on it.

TJ Hopland

I did find a diagram that shows that 601 EFE part went in the hot air tube between the exhaust manifold and air cleaner so its not designed to go in coolant but it may still work.  Its cheap enough it my be better than a non working one.  Just wish I could find its temp spec and if it was no or nc.