News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Fans under the seat.

Started by Martin Michaels, July 01, 2011, 09:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin Michaels

This being my first Cadillac  (a 1947)I'm finding surprise i haven't seen before. I just got done taking out the seats to check the floor pan(its in good shape)  but what are the fans under the front seat? I also found a key case with the Cadillac crest on it, were they given out to new owners? When i drain all the fluids will i be able to get it all local or will some have to ordered? I will post pictures when i learn how to shrink them. Thanks for the help.
Marty  CLC#26833
1947 6269  Cavern Green
1980 CDV D Elegance  White

Bill Ingler #7799

On the 47 you have underseat heaters. Inside the heater covers you will find a round fined heater core with a small electric motor with fan.  Depending on what kind of a restoration you plan for the car, you first might see if your 2 motors work and if they do work then see if the heater control valve will open an let water flow to both heater cores. Now you can check to see if your cores leak. If you find that either the motors don`t operate or the cores leak and then you will need to pull the motors and or cores. Now here is a big CAUTION. The motor feed wire is attached under a doom head of about a 1/4- 20 bolt. The underside of the doom headed bolt is square and the square slips doom inside a square opening of a small bake-alite block. That bolt continues through the floor and I believe through another small bake-alite block . The power lead wire for the motor is attached to the bolt on the underside. Be very careful in taking the nut of this bolt . Trying to take off the nut from the bolt will sometimes turn in the block on top and brake the block.  Have fun   Bill  Ingler

Jeff Maltby 4194

I had an oem leather key fob from "Warren Cadillac" in Minneapolis, Minnesota where my 49 sold new. It had their named engraved on it and sorry to say, I lost it at a car show in 93 and had to hot wire the car to get back home.

Moral to the story ! Always carry a set of spare keys ~:<(
Jeffo 49er chapter

CLC 1985
Honda Gold Wing GL1500

Paul Tesone

Martin - First , let me congratulate you on your new purchase. I too have a 47 Caddy . I think you will really enjoy it once it's up and running . Second , let's see if I can make your life a little easier with regard to downsizing and posting pictures . Being computer challanged , I struggled with this for a whlie before the Forum readers came to my rescue .The directions that follow work for me with the basic program that came with my Dell computer . Hopefully , you will have the same program . First , you must transfer the photos you want to post onto your desktop . You will probabably want to make a copy of each photo so the originals won't be removed from whatever folder they are in. To do that : 1- get into the folder , 2- open the photo from the mini display , 3-click "file" , then "make a copy ", 4- then change the folder name (top bar) to "desktop", 5- then rename the copy with a new name ( I usually rename them using the car's year , a number and the word "copy". Example : 1947-1-copy ; but you can rename it anything you want ).The computer will now recognize this photo from others that might be on your desktop . 6- click "save " . The photo with it's new name will now appear somewhere in the original folder - usually at the end of your series of photos , 7- now simply drag the photo onto the desktop. You are now ready to resize . TO RESIZE : 1-Click "start", then click "paint" ( you may have to click "start", then "all programs" then " accessories" then "paint" ), 2-drag your photo from the desktop onto the paint page , 3-click "image" then "resize/skew ", 4- now make your % change in the vertical and horizontal dimensions. This will vary depending upon the type of camera you used and how many photos you want to post ( I think the Forum software will allow only three photos max per post ) . For me , if I want to get three photos on,  I have to downsize 50% , then downsize another 50%. After downsizing the correct amount , click " OK " , 5- now click "file" then "save as " , 6 - now , if you want the photo to remain on the desktop for future use , you must change the name again by adding something to the desktop name , such as the word "forum". Otherwise , I think the photo might be lost from your desktop , 7 - then click "save " , 8 - then x out . NOW TO POST ON THE FORUM : 1 - go to CLC Forum post , 2 - click "reply " , 3 - enter your text , 4 - click "browse " ( be sure you are in your desktop folder ), 5 - scroll down to find the picture from whatever name you used and click "open" . More than one photo will require you to browse a second or third time . I believe  another line shows up under the first "browse" which says "additional photos ". There might be an easier way to post on the Forum, but this is what works for me . It's a pain to rename things,and the second rename may, in fact , not be necessary ; but by doing so , I'm assured that the photos will remain on the desktop for future use . I hope this works for you . Good luck with the car , and show us some progress photos . You can see my photos in the Forum's Restoration Blog under "1947 convertible" .Paul Tesone CLC #6876