News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Advice on ALT issue

Started by collector, August 14, 2011, 03:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

collector

When I turn on my lights my RPMS drop and if my AC and lights are one they drop a little more between 15-20 RPM's and when I turn them off they go back to normal. My Voltage regulator is new so does this mean that my alt is bad? Maybe a bad diode? It doesn't have any trouble keeping the battery charged but I haven't put on a voltage meter or anything to test or know how to test to be honest. What would cause this or is this normal? I have other cars that do not change idle when any current it being drawn from other electrical sources. Please advice

Dave Shepherd

I would say normal, as the alt is loaded is slows the idle slightly not a worry here,  modern cars with pcm controls compensate for the idle drop.  In the future you may want to include year and model in your post.

collector

I changed Voltage regulators from car to car and now they work the same, go figure!!! Everything is perfect now