News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1956 Cadillac Voltage regulator question?

Started by carguyblack, August 19, 2011, 09:14:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carguyblack

Could any of you out there with this year car or something close tell me if you experience the same thing? I have recently installed a new voltage regulator along with a rebuilt generator. What I am noticing at night when the headlights are on is a severe dimming of the lights when I am putting the power windows up or down, especially when they "bottom" out after full open or close. Is this dimming normal? I have had the generator and voltage regulator's polarity checked as well as the output of both tested while on the car and running. They test strong and good and are supposedly good to go. I'm just suspect of the dimming and didn't now if this was normal for this vintage car. Thanks for any advice with this.
Chuck Dykstra
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE

Walter Youshock

Same thing happens with my '57.  So long as the "GEN" light doesn't glow at idle, it should be ok.

I was told by an old mechanic that the regulators have to be adjusted on the car.  NEVER install it right out of the box and expect it to be right for your car.  I borrowed a voltmeter from a friend and adjusted 2 regulators on my car according to the Shop Manual.  I keep the spare under the front seat.
CLC #11959 (Life)
1957 Coupe deVille
1991 Brougham

carguyblack

Nice hearing from you again, Walter! And thanks for the advice and reassurance.
Chuck
Chuck Dykstra

1956 Sedan DeVille
1956 Coupe DeVille (2 sold)
1957 Oldsmobile 98 (sold)
1989 Bonneville SSE