News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

70 cadillac deville 472 engine rebuild

Started by richie, September 02, 2011, 01:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richie

Are there any members out there in the south jersey, philly, or delaware area, that know of a decent repair shop that can actually rebuild my engine correctly?  tried hibernia with my 58 caddy and after $13,000, I had a very nice looking engine that didn't last 1500 miles because of all the shims that were used.  thanx rich clc 24744 richerskine@aol.com
rich erskine clc#24744

Dave Shepherd

13K,  did one my shop that runs great, 3500 miles so far, $6600.  Where could they or did they use shims on that engine?  Sounds like a lawsuit to me.

richie

thanx for the reply Dave.  They shimmed up the heads, I had the car for 4 years after the work was done, because i ran out of the money I had saved to restore her all the other work, suspension, brakes, interior, had to be done by myself and it took a while.  I sold her to get money for the 70 and they guy I sold her to loves the car and really drives it.  He is the one that found the problem.  If you rebuild engines and would like a project please let me know.  rich erskine mount laurel, nj 856-220-8938 richerskine@aol.com
rich erskine clc#24744

62droptop

that is a common problem in this hobby.
everyone rebuilds the engine first and the engine sits for years before it is ready to be used
that is very bad for the rebuilt engine
when the engine is finally ready to be started ,the oil that was on the cam and bearings is no longer there and in longer cases has turned to gunk effectively ruining the bearings the second the engine is fired up
in most cases the engine can be done last or even later as a lot of people take a decent running engine and rebuild it because they want fresh engine,which is understandable ,but not always the right thing to do as the funds spent on an engine sometimes are enough to finish the rest of the car
this same instance happened to a buddy with an english car.
rebuilt engine first ,sat for a few years ,car never did get restored as was now too rotten
bought a better car and installed his new motor. 150 miles later came home on a hook with a toasted motor
this was more a machine shop issue but so much time had passed there was nothing he could do to claim any sort of warranty

i recommend the engine the last thing to be done when you are actually ready for it or just use the old engine for a while if possible and save $$ to rebuild it  as you enjoy the car