News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1955 Coupe DeVille Weatherstrip

Started by njones68, December 22, 2011, 11:34:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

njones68

Does anyone know what type of weatherstripping was used on the front edge of the vent window where it contacts the windshield post? I have seen some cars with weatherstripping glued to the winshield post ( don't think this is correct, ) and my car had  a foam stip attached to front vent window post but it did not look original either.

Steele lists part no. 70-0304-73 ( GM 4657497 ) which is a D channel strip but have not seen this on '55 cars either, any ideas?

Thx,

Nigel Jones, Canada

CEC #20099

Nigel ; My original , unrestored 55 62 Cpe has black molded rubber u shaped strips attached to the painted windshield pillar, apparently by fasteners under the garnish moldings. They compress when the door is closed, sealing the gap.
c chleboun #20099

Renato

I bought many steele rubber for big money. Very poor product. I won't buy rubbers from the states. For that money I can easily reproduct them. I used only 2 weeks my car, rubbers around the doors and roof rail started to destroy.  >:(
R. Bognar

njones68

Thanks for the replies, Steele does sell a u channel weatherstrip which sounds like the one described, however the leading edge of the chromed vent window vertical is corrugated as if it is designed as a glue surface. Is there additional weatherstripping on this surface?

Thx for the info,

Nigel Jones, Salmon Arm, BC

CEC #20099

Nigel; My 55 has the door rubber weatherstrip continuing up in front of the vent window, next to the serrated chrome frame. There are two weatherstrips in front of the vent window, one attached to the door & one on the painted windshield post. This gets a bit complicated, & I don`t have a digital camera handy.
c chleboun # 20099