News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

The first red Cadillac ever made was...?

Started by Tony Love, November 15, 2011, 08:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Love

Hello
I think we are all aware of the mystique attached to red cars and also somewhat to pink Cadillacs.
Red cars go faster, members of the fairer sex are drawn to red cars, red cars sell faster etc, do I need to go on?

Can anyone tell me what year and maybe model was the first full real red (not Maroon or Burgundy etc) documented Cadillac made?

Thanks!

Quentin Hall

So long as you stay in the black when you restore it . . . . otherwise your wife will see red.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

David King (kz78hy)

David King
CLC 22014  (life)
1958 Eldorado Brougham 615
1959 Eldorado Brougham 56- sold
1960 Eldorado Brougham 83- sold
1998 Deville d'Elegance
1955 Eldorado #277
1964 Studebaker Commander
2012 Volt
CLCMRC benefactor 197

Director and Founder, Eldorado Brougham Chapter
Past President, Motor City Region

Rare Parts brand suspension parts Retailer via Keep'em Running Automotive

Tony Love

Thanks guys!
Does the GM picture confirm this car was red though? Its a restored car I assume, could have been any colour originally?
Maybe the simple answer to this is what year was the first colour chart/manual showing a true red was available?

Great picture though!

Aaron Hudacky

The National Automobile Museum in Reno, NV (former Harrah's collection remaining car) has a red 1903 Cadillac. It is bright red. I assume the color is original, but I will verify.
1970 Eldorado
1978 Coupe deVille
1979 Coupe deVille
2008 Subaru STI

wrefakis

now go find fw 86,and you have the first red 59 brtz!

Quentin Hall

Wow a red convertible in 1903. I am just more interested that blokes were having mid life crisis' way back then. Now can anyone find a "red" surry with a  fringe on top?.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

Quentin Hall

Oh and Bill, What about the first prototype 59 Biarritz that was on the cover of Oct 58 Vogue. That was a red one, prototype admittedly. Have you noticed the parade boot is one piece and the foglamp houses are different  from production?.
53 Eldo #319
53 Eldo #412.
53 Eldo #433
57 Biarritz
53 series 62 conv
39 Sixty Special Custom
57 Biarritz

veesixteen

Please define "red".

The standard colors for the first Cadillacs were black or "rich maroon" (a sort of very dark red) with wine-red running dear and trimmings. In 1904, the company adopted "Maroon" (again dark red) as the standard color.  The "bright red" colors seen on restored cars are, in my opinion, way off the mark for originality.  But they do look good ... and they win prizes!

Does anyone have paint chips for the great Cadillac classics of the 20s. 30s and 40s? I see many restored ones dressed in "bright red".  Was that an approved (Cadillac-issued) color?

I think you need to go all the way to 1953 to get  a "bright red" Cadillac like these. The "Aztec Red" color of some of the 1963 Eldorado models (code 29)would seem to fit the bill. 
Yann Saunders, CLC #12588
Compiler and former keeper of "The Cadillac Database"
aka "MrCadillac", aka "Veesixteen"

Ralph Messina CLC 4937

Yann is correct. I checked my paint sample from 1935 to 53 and Aztec Red used on the first Eldorado is the first true “red”……The slang name would be “resale red”.  All prior years are various shades of maroon. However Aaron is also correct that in the earliest years manufacturers did have a bright red offering.

Ed. Comment: While looking at the beautiful, subtly metallic colors of the 30’s and 40’s I couldn’t help but wish some of Cadillacs new wave designers would look at past glory for inspiration. Dozens of those colors would look great on the new sheet metal. Then again what do I know? I still think an open shirt, blue blazer and tan slacks is not the cornerstone of a well dressed man’s wardrobe.

Ralph
1966 Fleetwood Brougham-with a new caretaker http://bit.ly/1GCn8I4
1966 Eldorado-with a new caretaker  http://bit.ly/1OrxLoY
2018 GMC Yukon

Ross Morgan #22943

Ralph, I did the same thing - check the paint chips from 1935 - 1953 and the 1953 Aztec Red is the first "non maroon" red. However, I did notice that Buick and Chevrolet had offered red in the early 1930's.  Does anyone have Cadillac paint chips prior to 1935?  Regards, Ross.

Wayne Womble 12210

Well as you can see, mine is the dreaded resale red.  I wont try to defend that decision, but hopefully can add something to the conversation.  My car was Carlisle Beige with BROWN fenders from the factory.  I am sorry, but BROWN ain't going on any car of mine, so, I debated for more than two years, and painted it different schemes three times. I would assemble the front end and  look at it for weeks at a time, and then try something else.  I finally gave in and just did it. I know its not a popular purist decision, but its damn sure popular with almost everyone else.

Now for the justification.   I have a (1933) copy of a publication from Cadillac, entitled " Price List For Specific Features and Equipment".   This publication list the charges for popular change requests.  On the subject of paint, or omission of paint, it establishes that non standard colors are available and there is even an adjustment for primer only. So, there were obviously request for non standard colors, or bodies in primer for custom jobs.   Quote:  " Extra charges will be made for the deviation from the standard arrangement of colors, or for the substitution of any non-standard color".  and  " allowances will be made for omitting top color finishes".  " the above allowances cover the primer finish to a point called rubbed out of rough stuff".   So, it boils down to the fact that if you had the money to buy one of these cars and wanted it another color, you could get it any way you wanted it.