News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1947 Series 62 Restoration Project Paint Code Verification

Started by OSK, January 29, 2012, 04:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OSK

I am currently putting together information about my 47' Cadillac that is undergoing a complete restore. I have verified many of the trim options on the car as I'd picked up the project with 99% of all of the original parts; however, that being said the Paint code has been something I have been contacting other vintage Cadillac owners on and so far I've come up with nothing.

The paint code on my trim tag is "2K" I know the 2 is Antoinette Blue, but the letter K shows up absolutely nowhere and nobody I have spoken with has any idea what it is either.

I attached a picture of the trim/body tag in hopes someone will know that this means as the best guess I could come up with was a 2 tone paint scheme even though the books only list 2 options for 2 tone and Antoinette Blue is not one of them.

The rest of the Trim Tag Decodes as this
1947 Cadillac Series 62
Style # 47-6269 (1947 Cadillac Series 62 Sedan & Coupe w/o Power Windows)
Body # FW 9272
Trim # 71 (Blue-Grey Dual Cord)
Paint # 2K 2(Antoinette Blue) (K-Unknown)
Wheel Options (Antoinette Blue or Vin Red)

Jeff Hansen

Here is how to break the data on the plate down:

Style 47-6269 is a 1947 Cadillac 4 door sedan
Body 9272 is the 9,272nd 4 door sedan body produced out of 25,834.  "FW", to my knowledge, has never been fully explained.  It could possibly mean the body was assembled at the Fleetwood Body Plant, but that is speculation.
Trim #71 is as you specified.
Paint #2 is Antoinette Blue

The "K" is an accessory code (note the "ACC" stamped in the body tag just above the words "by Fisher").  The alphabetic accessory codes are shown on the factory invoice for the vehicle.  I know in 1942, "K" meant the car was equipped with the Automatic Heating System.  I do NOT know if "K" retained the same designation in '47.

HTH,
Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

OSK

Thanks Jeff, that's way more information than I've gotten in the last 4 months of asking. So the Auto Heating System is what exactly? that's not the same thing as the underseat heaters is it? I know from taking inventory the 47' has every factory option on it and most of the dealer installed options for that year so "fully loaded" would be the best explination. I had heard that the FW was possibly the Fleetwood plant as well and certainly seems like the most plausible explination.

So really the K within the paint code has nothing to do with the paint but is more of an additional equipment code, well i have seen that on other cars from other eras, just was hoping an earlier car wouldn't have something like that. hopefully this lead will take me further into the decoding but at least you gave me somewhere to start since I wont start the project until I can document everything and have a clear direction as I do hate to work backwards on any vehicle. I did see one 47' series 62 in Antoinette Blue with the White top and tried to contact the owner since the car was stated as being restored, but I hadn't seen any paint codes stating that was even an option.

Other questions I have are in relation to the paint as I would think that the color was a Dupont color and would have been a Laquer base for that era? also the chrome finish, some have said it's stainless, some say nickel, I doubt I'll have to get it redipped since it's in phenominal shape but just in case that would be great to know also. last thing is the engine numbers, the car has the original in it and a spare, the spare has what looks like military stencils on the back with the number, which from what i've read are the left overs from their production for the light tanks in WWII, the numbers on the engine should match the cars frame number??

Thanks again for the info, like i said i'm just taking my time to make sure every detail is completely correct before i begin. I want this car finished just like it was in 1947!

-Tony

Terry Wenger

Tony:

The K in 1947 is code for the underseat heater. The paint was originally Rinshed  & Mason nitrocellulose lacquer with enamel used on the wheels. Some of the trim is die cast, some steel and some stainless steel. All of it was chrome plated even the stainless to give an even "Color". The military versions of the Cadillac engines in WWII were used in tanks landing craft and other vehicles.

Terry Wenger
Terry Wenger CLC #1800
tewv16@sbcglobal.net
1932 355B TSD
1939 7557
1940 60S
1941 60S
1947 6267 Conv.
1949 6207X Coupe
1963 60S

OSK

Terry,
Thanks for the info. I know the spare motor has what looks like military stenciling but not sure on the original motor. should it have stenciling or casting marks for the id on the motor for the car?

Heres a pic of the engine im referring to

Terry Wenger

Tony:

A lot of your questions can be answered with the Authenticity Manual for your car, available on this CLC Web Site. This is why we wrote these books, no easy task.

Your engine number should be on the engine block behind the water pump. this should be the same as the frame number. There is also an engine unit number on the left rear of the engine. These numbers are stamped in. I know of no stenciled numbers on the original engines.

Terry
Terry Wenger CLC #1800
tewv16@sbcglobal.net
1932 355B TSD
1939 7557
1940 60S
1941 60S
1947 6267 Conv.
1949 6207X Coupe
1963 60S

Jeff Hansen

Tony,

To answer your question about the Automatic Heating System, yes, the underseat heaters are a part of it.  It is automatic in the sense that the fans in the underseat heaters will not turn on until the coolant temperature has reached a predetermined level.  Like today, this prevents cold air from being blown through the vehicle before the coolant is up to temperature. 

Also a part of the system was the defroster unit mounted on the firewall. 

The Authenticity Manuals can be found at http://store.cadillaclasalleclub.org/category_s/1818.htm

HTH,
Jeff
Jeff Hansen
1941 6019S Sixty Special
1942 7533 Imperial Sedan

OSK

Sounds like its time to buy another book. I'm glad I waited now cause the books here look like they're full of alot more details than others offered.  I did update my car in the restoration build. Thread to give you an idea of what I'm starting with. Thanks so much I got more information in one day from you two than I have in 4 months!