News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

76 Seville Electric Sparks in Switches

Started by waterzap, February 10, 2012, 12:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waterzap

Hi guys,

Sometimes when I use some of the door switches, door locks, window switches, I can see small electrical sparks. Really only noticeable at night when I look “through” the switches.

I can also see some arcs coming from the AC switch when I operate it. I took out all the switches, took them apart and cleaned the inside. Still get the sparks.  Anything I can do or be concerned about? Everything works, just sparking.

Waldo
Leesburg, AL

mgbeda

Sounds normal to me for any switch controlling a motor- it has something to do with induction.  I recall reading in a Jaguar forum that some people wire up diodes to switches to prevent this from happening.  Supposed to make the switches last longer.  It sounds like a lot of work to me so I never bothered.  I can get you more details if you are interested...

-mB
-Mike Beda
CLC #24610
1976 Sedan DeVille (Bessie)

waterzap

Thanks for the info. If that is the case, and it is normal, I will just leave it. The switches did not look too bad, just a bit of sandpaper to clean.
Leesburg, AL