News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

mating a 56 cadillac hydromatic trans...

Started by Scott Kraemer, March 11, 2012, 01:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Kraemer

Don't laugh, but came across a combination that I was not sure will work...

1956 cadillac with original hydro-matic trans, but no engine. However, I do have a 1965 impala 283 v8 sitting around.

Could I mount this small block v8 to the old caddy trans until I locate a cadillac 365?

thanks.
Scott Kraemer
CLC #24704
"Every idea spawns another idea. Therefore no idea is bad." -SLK

47 series 62 sedan

Coupe

If it was me I'd find a 365 or a 390 up to '62. These engines have the  torque you need to move a 4600# car. I know there are adaptors to install the 365/390 to just about any newer transmission but I've never seen the other way around. If you find one you'll have fabrication that may tough to undo when you find a 365. That said if anyone can help you it would be Bendtsen Transmissions. Here's the link to their website

http://www.transmissionadapters.com/
1957 Coupe de Ville
1962 Sedan de Ville (4 window)
1993 Allante
1938 Chevrolet Business Coupe (Sold)
1949 Jeepster VJ-2

Scott Kraemer

Thanks Paul.

My goal would be to put the 365 or a 390 into it. Just figured I could use what I had laying around until then.

I will keep looking for a 365 and/or a 390.

Thanks.
Scott
"Every idea spawns another idea. Therefore no idea is bad." -SLK

47 series 62 sedan