News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

'76 a/c compressor rebuild?

Started by Hankk17, July 05, 2012, 08:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hankk17

does anyone know if there are rebuild kits available for the '76 A/C compressor?  my SDV's A/C was working until I messed with it like a fool.. it was and still is grinding like it's going to seize up, so I decided to give it a shot of oil.  Since then the compressor won't disengage and its now blowing hot air instead of the nice icy air it was before.

I thought perhaps I overfilled it so I've done a few quick purges by hitting the shrader valve and letting the coolant out for about 30 seconds at a time but the problem is still there. 

Either way, the grinding is still there so I'm thinking a rebuild is in order..
Wherever you go... There you are

Hankk17

R Schroeder

No problem. I typed  " A6 compressor  " in Google. There may be more places.

Hankk17

FYI I corresponded a bit with one of their sales guys and he tells me that if a compressor is seized, they won't work on it.. presumably it'll cost more to rebuild than it would to buy a new one.

so, I did some searching and found one on Amazon of all places.. for $154.00.  I'm expecting it sometime next week.

I've also heard from several sources that the A6s are now a discontinued item - so get em while there's still stock I guess.

-Hank

R Schroeder

It probably will be shipped without oil, so make sure you have the correct amount.
Roy

Rob Troxel

I too picked one up off Amazon for my 68 Cadillac, rebuilt 4 Seasons unit.  Works great.  Cost was under 200 bucks  shipped, so I'd shelved the rebuilding of the old one. 

I have also used Classic Air listed above for many other parts.  Top notch help from real people who know A/C there.