News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

2014 Cadillac CTS

Started by Big Apple Caddy, March 26, 2013, 12:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Louis Smith on April 03, 2013, 11:32:41 AM
Chevrolet SS?  Interesting name and concept.  A RWD sedan being touted as a "performance" vehicle.  Not often that a sedan is thought of as a performance vehicle.  Is this supposed to be a tweaked Impala?

The Chevrolet SS is basically a Holden VF Commodore.

So, do you prefer the style of the last gen STS or the new 2014 CTS?

Louis Smith

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on April 03, 2013, 01:14:49 PM
2013 Chrysler Group sales through March 2013:
Dodge - 158,751
Jeep - 100,951
Chrysler - 79,684
Ram - 79,354

The GM estimated 0-60 time for the Twin Turbo CTS is 4.6 seconds, pretty good don’t you think?

Seems as though we have found 2 different sources for Chyslers March sales.  :o :o :o :o :o

The Corvette based engine in the Twin Turbo CTS is really quite impressive, but is it really needed, other then for bragging rights?  The engine is produced in GM's Silao, Mexico engine assembly plant.

Louis Smith

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on April 03, 2013, 01:19:21 PM
The Chevrolet SS is basically a Holden VF Commodore.

So, do you prefer the style of the last gen STS or the new 2014 CTS?

Quite frankly being "old school" aka "grumpy old man",  I haven't liked the styling of most Cadillacs of recent history.  I guess the last models I found attractive were the last Eldorado's.  Of course being a true capitalist, I fully understand Cadillacs thinking in trying to stay competitive.  I think the SRX crossover is very appealing, but, in my opinion, undersized for a Cadillac.  They should have made the Buick Enclave the SRX, and vice versa.  Since I am now a big fan of Crossovers, I would prefer the Enclave for its bigger size and more comfort.

Makandriaco

I have to say, not only Cadillacs but most all other vehicles lost their personallity for a good chunk of time. Just recently some of them are getting it back. This CTS I think is one example; I can't comment on the driving as I have not driven one, but to me it finally looks like a Cadillac again.
1959 Series 62 4 Window Sedan

Always loved Cadillacs.

Louis Smith

Quote from: Makandriaco on April 03, 2013, 03:08:35 PM
I have to say, not only Cadillacs but most all other vehicles lost their personallity for a good chunk of time. Just recently some of them are getting it back. This CTS I think is one example; I can't comment on the driving as I have not driven one, but to me it finally looks like a Cadillac again.

I guess it all depends on your point of reference.  I first started noticing Cadillacs as a child, when on a trip to New York City with my family in the mid 50's.  I just noticed all these big long cars with "fins".  When I asked what they were, I was told with a tone of reverence, "That is a Cadillac".  That added to the initial allure of the car!  I was hooked!  I knew I had to have a Cadillac.  It took almost 25 years till I got my first one, but I knew I had "arrived".  While waiting to first have pride of ownership, and for many years after, I religiously followed the history of Cadillac.  As Cadillac's sales decreased so did my interest in obtaining one.  I simply didn't feel their styling was as exciting as in the  past.

Like most here, I am pleased with what they are doing with their styling, with a disclaimer.  I think most of appeal is with the aggressive front ends.  Unfortunately other manufacturers are offering the same aggressive looks at a lower price.

Louis Smith

Less everyone think I am completely down on our young people today.  My spirits are always raised when see things like this.  Dare I say, that I doubt any of these brilliant, devoted and talented young ladies are riding around in a new leased Cadillac.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1418565565?bctid=23207933001

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Louis Smith on April 03, 2013, 02:38:53 PM
Seems as though we have found 2 different sources for Chyslers March sales.  :o :o :o :o :o

The Corvette based engine in the Twin Turbo CTS is really quite impressive, but is it really needed, other then for bragging rights?  The engine is produced in GM's Silao, Mexico engine assembly plant.

My figures were for the entire brands through March, yours were model specific for top five models only.

Bragging rights does tend to sum it up for upper end hp numbers.  In some ways, hp and 0-60 numbers are replacing overall length, bigger fins, etc. bragging rights from long ago.  As always, luxury car ownership isn't necessarily about practical or logical benefits/needs.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Louis Smith on April 03, 2013, 02:47:10 PM
I think the SRX crossover is very appealing, but, in my opinion, undersized for a Cadillac.  They should have made the Buick Enclave the SRX, and vice versa.  Since I am now a big fan of Crossovers, I would prefer the Enclave for its bigger size and more comfort.

Perhaps they felt that an Enclave-like model would be too close in size to the Escalade.  Given that the SRX has been Cadillac's best seller since 2010, I think they made the right choice.

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: Louis Smith on April 03, 2013, 05:11:15 PM
Dare I say, that I doubt any of these brilliant, devoted and talented young ladies are riding around in a new leased Cadillac.

::)

Louis Smith

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on April 03, 2013, 08:40:25 PM
My figures were for the entire brands through March, yours were model specific for top five models only.

Bragging rights does tend to sum it up for upper end hp numbers.  In some ways, hp and 0-60 numbers are replacing overall length, bigger fins, etc. bragging rights from long ago.  As always, luxury car ownership isn't necessarily about practical or logical benefits/needs.

Whenever I am in discussions of this nature, I always have to ask people what defines a luxury car "today".  I remember a time when basically a luxury car was defined by its creature comforts.  I remember back in the 50's and going forward, it was mostly Cadillac that had the most creature comforts.  While it was true, that most of GM's brands could get the same options, it was usually Cadillac that had them the most.  I remember ordering a '61 Chevy Bel Air, and the outside rear view mirror was an option.  Moving the clock ahead some 50 years, most cars come with standard equipment that would embarrass Cadillacs of the past.  I have owned Chevy Trucks, that weren't high end, but had all the luxury items I could ever want.  I am not talking about basics, such as PW, PS etc.  It had a remote self started etc, not to forget all the comfort and size of Cadillacs of the past.  The comfort and size were the main reason I got the trucks.  I guess part of being a luxury car today, is also being a "blow the doors" performance vehicle.  I guess that is what sells to today's luxury car buyers, not this "grumpy old man".  I am very happy with my nicely equipped crossover, at a great savings.  I will sacrifice the higher price for a comfortable wehicle, with a nice plethora of options.

Louis Smith

Quote from: Big Apple Caddy on April 03, 2013, 08:43:10 PM
Perhaps they felt that an Enclave-like model would be too close in size to the Escalade.  Given that the SRX has been Cadillac's best seller since 2010, I think they made the right choice.

Respectfully disagree.  The Enclave, a crossover and Escalade a truck, are two different animals.  Cadillacs as I remember them were always the big land yachts.  I considered the SRX, but after giving it the "butt test", I didn't feel it was the vehicle for us.