News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

WANTED 1971-1972 Eldorado Rear Bumper Guards

Started by Rich S, April 13, 2013, 02:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rich S

Looking for the dealer accessory vertical rear bumper guards for the '71-'72 Eldorado rear bumper--similar to this e-bay listing for the '73 Eldorado Rear Bumper Guards accessory, but specifically fitting the '71-'72 rear bumper, in excellent condition:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1973-CADILLAC-ELDORADO-REAR-BUMPER-GUARDS-/321105412474?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1971%7CMake%3ACadillac%7CModel%3AEldorado&hash=item4ac35fc17a&vxp=mtr

Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

Louis Smith

Quote from: Rich S on April 13, 2013, 02:51:31 PM
Looking for the dealer accessory vertical rear bumper guards for the '71-'72 Eldorado rear bumper--similar to this e-bay listing for the '73 Eldorado Rear Bumper Guards accessory, but specifically fitting the '71-'72 rear bumper, in excellent condition:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1973-CADILLAC-ELDORADO-REAR-BUMPER-GUARDS-/321105412474?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1971%7CMake%3ACadillac%7CModel%3AEldorado&hash=item4ac35fc17a&vxp=mtr

According to the Compatibility link on the page, they are compatible with a '73.

This part is compatible with 1 vehicle(s) matching 1973 Cadillac Eldorado Base 8.2L.
Notes   Year   Make   Model   Trim   Engine
   1973   Cadillac   Eldorado   All   All
Portions of the information contained in this table have been provided by chief5993
Item specifics
Condition:    New other (see details) : Split the cost with friends
Seller Notes:    â€œPart #7.828 Part #991174â€"this is a pair of 1973 Cadillac Eldorado Rear Bumper Guards, New Old Stock GM as found in the original box in old dealer’s parts room. Complete with all mounting hardware & mounting instruction sheet. New & Nice. Please check compatibility with your vehicle before purchase, AS RETURNS ARE NOT ACCEPTED, seller is not making any representations as to fitness to compatible vehicles listed.”
Manufacturer Part Number:    Part #7.828 Part #991174    Placement on Vehicle:    Rear
Part 37.828 Part #991174â€"this is a pair of 1973 Cadillac Eldorado Rear Bumper Guards, New Old Stock GM as found in the original box in old dealer’s parts room.  Complete with all mounting hardware & mounting instruction sheet.  New & Nice. Please check compatibility with your vehicle before purchase, AS RETURNS ARE NOT ACCEPTED, seller is not making any representations as to fitness to compatible vehicles listed.

Rich S

Thanks, Louis, I had read that but the chrome "cut out" shown that fits against the bumper looks different, as if it fits around the bumper impact rubber strip on a '73. In other words, the side profile looks different when that picture is blown up (and the bumpers are different.) I'll try checking with the Parts Department next week at a Cadillac dealer since I'm going there.
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

J

Cadillac got me!!!

Rich S

Thanks, Jessie--but the "cut out" profile is different from the one for a '71 or '72 Eldorado rear bumper. Also, the rubber inserts with the white center line were from '74, '75, '76, '77 and '78 Eldorados--the earlier ones had solid black rubber inserts.
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

Lars Kneller 8246

I think I may have one good one.  The other one was bent. I'll have to check. You're welcome to it if you can use it.

Rich S

Thanks Lars, but I've just obtained a set of the rear bumper guards!
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

J

what are these for any ways? looks or function?
Cadillac got me!!!

Louis Smith

Quote from: Jessie on April 25, 2013, 11:55:21 AM
what are these for any ways? looks or function?

If you ask me, absolutely function.  Years ago, my father put them on his Corvair.  I sort of snickered at them.  That was until, when I was driving it, I got mildly hit in the rear, while stopped.  When I got out to survey the damage, I was expecting the worse.  I was somewhat amazed to see absolutely no damage at all!  I immediately became a believer.  Whenever I got a new car, I immediately put them on.  I used to get them from JC Whitney.  They were all custom made for each individual car.  They came with a rubber gasket, so they wouldn't damage the original bumper.  Most of them were black so as to appear to be factory.

I might also mention that I became a believer in seat belts some time ago, when I witnessed a bad accident.  The driver of a car that got T-boned, was able to get out of his car, and helped the other driver, who eventually had to be Medivaced to the hospital. It should also be noted that the air bag also helped greatly.  I mention this because from time to time I ride with "old timers", such as myself, that still refuse to put on their seat belts.  Better safe then sorry.