News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1977 Seville 350 EFI timing and distributor

Started by mechanic80, June 17, 2013, 05:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mechanic80

I've gone through the CD service manual and cannot find any information regarding the distributor.  Being an old chevy guy, I'm used to a distributor hold down fork.  I cannot find anything like that on the Seville.  I do see a large hex head at the front of the distributor that seems to go straight into the distributor housing.   Is that the "hold down?"  Additionally, I can't seem to locate the timing degree indicator anywhere near the harmonic balancer, although I haven't looked underneath the car.
     BTW I just installed the rebuilt ECM done by Automotive Scientific in Rogersville TN.  The cold idle time is noticeably shortened
(a good thing), the engine operating temperature is now what I'd consider normal (it was barely at low end of op temp) and there's no more hesitation from a standstill.  For a charge of barely more than $350 including return freight AND a 5 year warranty,  I'd say it's a far better deal than a used unit for a few bucks less that Cadillac King wanted. 
mechanic80

TMoore - NTCLC

The distributor is secured to the block with the standard hold down located at the point where the distributor shaft enters the block (similar to most cars).

The timing pointer should be on the passenger side of the front of the engine, under the air pump, and the timing marks are stamped on the crank (again, same as most engines).

I am surprised that you notice a difference on the cold idle with a re-built ECU - that is usually a function of the cold idle valve located in the air intake (I have had to shim mine to keep the start up idle a bit tamer).

Let us know if you have questions - I can take a couple of pics.

mechanic80

If it's way down there and at the back of the block, does the standard distributor wrench work.  Looking from the top. can you tell me a "clock" position of the hold down bolt?  I can barely even reach the distributor cap let alone see a bolt down at the rear of the block.  Thanks for the help.
mechanic80

waterzap

Dont quite remember, but I think the bolt is on the driver side of the distributor. Much, much easier if you take the cap off. I just used an extension with a swivel piece.
Leesburg, AL

bcroe

I use a special offset 9/16" box that goes on a long extension.  Timing mark is down
on the engine lower left.  If your harmonic balancer has an outer ring held by bonded
rubber, make sure it hasn't slipped its timing mark. 

If you still have your old ECU, you could get it fixed as a backup.  Probably for a tenth
the cost of a replacement. 

Bruce Roe   CLC#  14630

mechanic80

My one and only ECU is what I had rebuilt.  I'll try to find the timing marks next time I'm messin' with the Seville.
mechanic80

waterzap

Had some problems with my car and timing marks. Used a stop bolt in cylinder 1 to accurately get TDC. If the harmonic balancer has rubber in it, the timing marks can move, so never a bad idea to check it.
Leesburg, AL