News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

When is a car "road worthy" and "dependable"?

Started by chrisntam, December 21, 2014, 07:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scot Minesinger

Greg,

Sorry that whining about poor replacement part quality and inadequate service agencies bugs you.  Just trying to warn people that just because a part is new or work was performed by others does not mean it will be good, as you would expect.  You helped me with that starter in GN 2013, and it took three replacement starters to get one that would turn over the engine every time the ignition key was turned.  Have taken to repairing my own car out of necessity for work I can trust was not short-cut or cheap parts used.  I'm not whining cause it is sad, just warning people.  Have been burned and don't want m friends to suffer same fate.
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

R Schroeder

I have to agree with Greg 100%. The more you can do, and the more you know about your car, the better off your going to be.
I don't think he is saying you need to be a mechanic to own an old car. He is stating you should know your car to the best of your ability.

I for one went through my car from the front to the back when I bought it, and would drive it anywhere.
I carry extra parts that could be a problem, and the tools to repair it along side the road , if possible.

Lord knows I know people that don't know a front bumper from the back, but they have fun coming to shows. They don't go very far from home, but they have fun around town.

Every Tuesday night we all get together at our local Hardee's. I hear cars coming in there that run super, and then there are some that limp in to the show.
Bottom line is ; they all have fun getting together .

Roy

Scot Minesinger

Yes, I guess we all know what makes a car reliable.  Certainly the more you know about your car, the more mechanically inclined you are and the more mechanical experience you have is a benefit.  The hobby has room for everyone, and if we only invited the members with reliable cars to GN, it would be far less attended.  I only got into this hobby in 2005 because I wanted a luxury 5 seat RWD American V-8 convertible, so had to go back to 1970 to get that.  Now I will never go back.  I lack experience, but it is improving every day.

I think the best answer is have your car so that keys can be handed over to your wife and daughters, and if they can enjoy a 100 mile trouble free trip without you, it is good to go.  My Grandmother drove new Cadillac starting in 1961 for three decades buying a new one every three years or so with no troubles.  Hopefully we can have our cars that way too.

Dropping out for now-enjoy your Cadillacs and Happy New Year!
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

chrisntam

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on December 28, 2014, 12:26:56 AM

Sorry that whining about poor replacement part quality....snip

I agree about the quality of the parts that are available these days.  Bought a Delco rebuilt starter (best one/most expensive I could find), it was defective and nearly caught my car on fire last year.  The strap that comes thru the starter body and connects to the solenoid was not centered.  It was touching ground and when I went to start it, it caught on fire.  Luckily, I was outside the car, quickly pulled the battery cable and put the fire out with an old towel.

Most things these days are built oversees and quality is suspect.  That's just the way it is and we have to deal with it.  Many good brands that I used to sell (when I worked at an independently owned auto parts store) back in the '80s are no longer considered good quality (wheel bearings, for instance).

Would you rather have a "GM" provided part or an aftermarket reproduction?  I know which one I would pick but again, these days we usually only have choice "B".

Scot has a valid point.

chris.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

R Schroeder

I guess my point is to go out and enjoy the car.
Carry a tool box, or a credit card. Both will get you where you want to go.
Roy

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Correct, no guarantees on anything.  My wife has a 13 Murano with 15K miles on it..... It's been towed twice. 
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on December 26, 2014, 10:51:15 PM
Mike,

That power steering hose is right next to the exhaust manifold.  By 1974 (just replaced one on that year) the power steering pressure line is under the frame and away from exhaust manifold - superior design (might have started this in 71-not sure).  Anyway a leak is a likely fire, so highly advise that you replace them.  You replaced the steering gear so they should be easy to replace.  Even if you did not I have replaced them on many 67, 68, 70 Caddy's and never had any trouble loosening the factory tightened compression nut on power steering line that threads into gear.

Scot,

My pressure line is braided with stainless so it will only leak at the joint; no fire hazard. I had a pressure line burst right where the the exhaust manifold is back in 2000. And it did start a fire. I was parking in a tight spot at a car cruise. There were 3 or 4 people on my car with fire extinguishers before I could even get mint out!

After that I got that line braided and a replacement line braided. Time for the replacement (braided) to go in and this line's original fittings to get a new braided line section again.

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on December 27, 2014, 11:43:54 AM
Mike,

That slow starter when hot has never happened to me yet, but my friends it has and they asked to replace the starter.  I did and it cured the problem, but it could have been loose connections.  When replacing a starter I always clean-up/tighten battery ground, frame ground at starter, clean battery terminals and etc to make sure there are no issues.

After reading your brake explanation on the 68 and 69 Cadillacs, although I like the exterior looks and dash better on a 68 than a 70 Cadillac, guess when it comes to brakes glad I have the simplicity of a 1970.

Scot,
The starter was recently rebuilt and re-installed. Its the original starter that's been rebuilt twice now. I'm convinced its the grounding straps, because when it's cold or warm, it cranks over very fast. Only when its HOT like shortly after a long or high speed run, will it give trouble.

Like what it did Sat morning. It scared me into thinking the battery was gone because it would not crank over fast enough to start at all. However a couple hours later it started just fine.

Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike

cadillacmike68

Quote from: Dave Burke on December 26, 2014, 11:41:59 PM
...Just remember the old adage: Ships are safe in the harbor, but that is not what ships are made for....
Dave Burke
CLC# 27968 (or some such)

Ummm, for some reason Taranto, & Pearl Harbor come to mind.
Regards,
"Cadillac" Mike