News:

Please note that the Forums will be in Maintenance Mode, i.e. not accessible, this coming Wednesday, May 15th, This is to make backups and carry out the changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members. The start of the transition is planned for around 9 a.m. EDT, and is expected to last between four and eight hours.

Main Menu

Update on new Cadillac initiatives

Started by James Landi, August 22, 2015, 06:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Apple Caddy

Quote from: John Barry [CLC17027] on August 27, 2015, 08:24:42 AM
In my view, Cadillac seems to be playing a "me too" game, endeavoring to imitate and beat the German luxury leaders at their own game.  Seems to me that this is starting out with a handicap.  Rather than this, I'd suggest Cadillac should set an agenda of its own, thus:

Engineer and develop a V-12 engine, with the same per-cylinder displacement as the existing V-8 engines.  That alone would make people sit up and take notice, especially since it would be the first American production automotive V-12 since the Lincoln Continental of the late 1940s.
It would be, however, how would it also not still be playing "me too" with the German marques?  Mercedes-Benz and Audi have 12 cylinder engines and the BMW brand also offered one until recently.

It's been talked about before, but now's the time to do it: that is, revive the La Salle marque.  And I'd do it with some adjustments to the ATS, starting with making a manual (yes, a clutch pedal) transmission standard.  The corresponding automatic ought to be an add-on option.
I think GM still wants a more streamlined brand portfolio.  If the number of brands were to be expanded, I'd rather see Oldsmobile return as a sport/luxury premium brand but I don't think it wold make much business sense in the current environment.

It's also time to work with Cummins to develop a true automotive diesel as an optional power plant.  We all know there are Cummins diesels in more sizable pickup trucks, and these seem to provide good performance.  Some engineering modifications should be sufficient to render a unit appropriate for luxury automotive use.
Diesel engines for Cadillacs are supposed to be coming in a few years.

jdemerson

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on August 26, 2015, 11:02:34 AM

Judged from my own observations in the automobile business over many years, I have seen the original owners of 77-79 Cadillac DeVille/Brougham hold onto their cars far longer than any of their previous model Cadillacs on average. It was not uncommon for people who bought new Cadillacs every 2, 3, or 4 years to keep their 77/78/79 Cadillacs until they were 10 years old and in many cases even longer. One of our own customers kept her '79 Fleetwood twenty.

No car is beyond criticism but if Cadillac quality of the late '70s was so dreadful, I've seen little evidence of it, whether judged by the numbers, original owner satisfaction or resale value (of the day).

I agree with Erik here. The 1977-79 DeVilles and Fleetwoods were excellent models and were very successful for Cadillac.

These models also make an interesting point about sharing components and platforms across brands. As a young man who was a "car guy" I recall going new-car shopping with an uncle. He was a company officer in a business. He could pretty much buy whatever car he wanted, although Cadillac and Lincoln were not on his radar screen at the time. He wound up buying a loaded 1977 Chevrolet Caprice. It turned out to be an excellent car and he drove it for many years -- perhaps 9 or 10. At the time it seemed like a "junior Cadillac" and it shared some features and some style with the 1977-79 DeVilles. I think that the full-size "down-sized" GM cars of that era compared well with anything available at the time, and certainly with the models that had preceded them. And the Cadillacs of 1977-1979 do stand out as especially attractive models today.
John Emerson
Middlebury, Vermont
CLC member #26790
1952 Series 6219X
http://bit.ly/21AGnvn

Rich S

Some of you following this thread may be interested in knowing GM has just published the "Online Order and Reference Guide" for the 2016 Cadillac CT6 Sedan. I've linked the section on color and trim, since it shows five interior selections available:

http://www.gmfleetorderguide.com/NASApp/domestic/proddesc.jsp?year=2016&regionID=1&divisionID=5&type=0&vehicleID=18703&section=col_trim&page=9&butID=3

Although the subdued styling of the CT6 disappoints me, I feel it is a very well engineered and built vehicle, and in the proper colors, likely the best every day new car available. I am very anxious to learn what pricing will be? I think I could go for a CT6 Platinum in Dark Adriatic Blue with a Very Light Cashmere Interior . . . to dream, ahhhhhhh!!!
Rich Sullivan CLC #11473

1971 Eldo Conv., 2013 CTS Cpe

Cadillac Jack 82

I dunno...some new caddys have a decent look but I think they need a breakout.  For now I'll stick to their glory days in the 40s-60s
Tim

CLC Member #30850

1959 Cadillac CDV "Shelley"
1964 Cadillac SDV "Rosalie"
1966 Oldsmobile Toronado "Sienna"

Past Cars

1937 LaSalle Cpe
1940 Chevrolet Cpe
1941 Ford 11Y
1954 Buick 48D
1955 Cadillac CDV
1955 Packard Clipper