News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

special ordered Cadillac's

Started by g27g28, August 01, 2016, 04:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry Puma

There are two SO cars in the WNY Region CLC that I can describe: one is a 1962 Park Avenue with a SO 1962 Eldorado herringbone cloth bucket seat interior (the 1962 Eldorado came with a standard cloth interior, but you rarely see one with it). The other is a 1961 Coupe deVille, with a blue cloth interior with white leather bolsters - the car is blue with a white top, and the owner wanted the top of the seats to match the top of the car! The interesting thing about this SO car is that it still has the paper SO tag stapled to the metal dataplate.
Jerry Puma
1964 Eldorado
1961 Series 62 6-window

Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621

For the purposes here, "Special Order" refers to exterior paint color(s) and/or interior trim combinations not listed as a regular standard offering for a particular model in a particular model year. It should be noted that unusual combinations of exterior and interior appearance choices from the regular "menu" are not special order cars; they are merely a regular order of standard factory production items that happen to not coordinate well in the eyes of the general public, or at least a substantial majority thereof.

Therefore in the example of Tibor's car, since Kensington Green and red leather interior were both regular standard 1959 items, it is not a Special Order. It is simply a car that someone ordered in Kensington Green with red leather.

Now, if the same 1959 car were ordered in 1958 Cadillac Versailles Green with [1959] red leather, that would be considered a Special Order car.

Quote from: V63 on August 02, 2016, 01:27:26 PM
"Chances are a worker slapped the wrong label on the rad support. 500 engine was Eldorado only in 1974"

Chances are a worker slapped the wrong engine over the rad support.

Personally I would give greater credence to a VIN code than a decal and a shop's word but in the real world, almost anything is theoretically possible. 

As the car is long gone, it seems the mystery will remain...

A Cadillac Motorcar is a Possession for which there is no Acceptable Substitute

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Eric,
I couldn't have said it better.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Blade

Exactly, that is why both Jim's and my car are considered "special request" cars instead of "special order" (SO) cars and neither of us have the SO stamped on the data plate.

I don't have my codes with me right now but if I remember correctly the Kensington green cars came with three standard interior color choices: green, black and two toned green/black.

Original owner of my car did not like any of these choices therefore requested the car to be built with a red interior - which was available with other color combinations. 'Red' interior included - back rests, cushions and plated inserts: 'red'; bolsters on back rest and ends of seat cushions: 'red'; lower instrument panel, compartment door, ashtray doors, seat side panels: 'Ramses Red'; top of instrument, carpet, heater assembly, autronic eye and A/C duct: 'Kiowa Red'; and steering wheel rim and grips: 'Red'.

Cheers!

Wheras SO Cadillacs are concerned, I have always wanted to find (or at least see) a 1959 CdV in black with red leather interior. 

Full leather interior in any closed Cadillac model would need to have been special order prior to 1962.

wrefakis

SO cars are very special, but they did quite a few,  the piping on the seats was an SO until 68, after that it was a regular production option.

I have researched and have records of all SO 59 Eldo Biarritz, and there were quite a few. one in particular factory built with two stage white pearl clear coat, and 2 tone buckets.

years back I owned a 67 DVC with white seats, blue piping, blue buttons and 2 tone door panels all SO.

It is my intention at some point to do an article on the SO 59 Biarritz as well as others.

wrefakis

They did paint one 59 Eldorado Biarritz in a non GM color paint specs are on SO sheet

wrefakis

500 engine 74 zero chance 500 was fwd only

Quote from: wrefakis on August 03, 2016, 09:56:00 AM
They did paint one 59 Eldorado Biarritz in a non GM color paint specs are on SO sheet

I think mentioned here SO exterior color choices were restricted to those ever used on Cadillac (or GM) only but that is not true. Buyer could have specified literally any possible color. 

Quote from: wrefakis on August 03, 2016, 10:00:41 AM
500 engine 74 zero chance 500 was fwd only

Agreed.

1974 emissions label (exc Eldorado).

jagbuxx #12944

My '61 is an SO car. It was ordered with leather interior versus cloth/leather in the standard blue shade. The body tag lists SO and the back of the front door cards have "So1274" written on them.
Frank Burns #12944
76 Coupe d'Elegance EFI Galloway Green Firemist
70 deVille Convert San Mateo Red
61 Coupe Deville Bristol Blue
41 Series 61 Deluxe Coupe 6127D Black
08 STS 3.6 1SC  Thunder Gray
16 GTI Gray
03 T-Bird Black
16 Grand Cherokee Summit, Granite
19 Tiffin Phaeton 40AH
07 Corvette Blue
20 MB S450 White

"Whatever the occasion, there
is no better way to arrive than in a Cadillac.

V63

Emission label:

Yes, that is the label to which I refer, EXCEPT in the small GM box, upper left it read "500 cu.in." And very bottom read 1974 model year.

I did image the label,  as I was quite intregued in the mystery. Its been so long ago I can't place it at this time.

It was the cylinders heads that started the mystery, and I was very surprised to see the emission label to match and also dated 1974

I had every intention of keeping the car. The fact that the car is gone now due to theft would not change the VIN code, that was already admittedly for the 472.

I too would find it hard to believe... if I didn't experience it myself, and had ample opportunity to verify it.

Blade

Quote from: Eric DeVirgilis CLC# 8621 on August 03, 2016, 10:53:04 AM
Buyer could have specified literally any possible color. 

Attached Series 62 is also SO exterior paint, owner wanted that specific pink color - which I'm not sure why not just pick Woodrose at that point?

raugusti

Here is a shot of My 58's SO trim tag for reference, note the SO number for paint and trim match the body number. 
Unfortunately, I have no idea what the original colors were.  I have a vague recollection of it being light blue with a blue and white interior before it was redone in the current red, with red and white leather interior.  I have yet to send off to Allied Vaughn for the build info to see if it will tell any tales.

Scott
Scott Augustine
Colorado, USA
'58 Series 62 Conv.
'58 Eldorado Seville

Quote from: Blade on August 03, 2016, 03:45:21 PM
Attached Series 62 is also SO exterior paint, owner wanted that specific pink color - which I'm not sure why not just pick Woodrose at that point?

Tibor...I would stake my life that was not the color on that car when it rolled off the assembly line. It was obviously made up with a view to appeal to the widest possible retail audience. There is so much incorrect with the car I would not know where to begin. A serious collector would never touch it.

http://www.schmitt.com/inventory/ds-1959-cadillac-series-62-convertible-3/#photos_section

BTW - of the dozens of pictures, nary a single image of the data tag if only to verify the car was indeed an SO order paint & trim.

g27g28

The one SO Cadillac that I have knowledge about was a 76 Sedan de ville that was painted lavender.  She told me that she paid 500.00 to have it painted that color and it was a color that Mercury had used in the late 50s.  I knew Cadillac did alot of variations earlier on but I have noticed none of the cars listed here are late 70s or 80s.
1941 Series 62
1954 Coupe DeVille
1978 Phaeton
1980 Fleetwood

wrefakis

Regarding the SO one of a kind Kensington green 59 Eldo.

The seller is promoting the car as a one of a kind documented one of one. they have no documentation, nor do they even know what is special on this car.

Kensington green was a standard color
white bucket seats were no charge standard option and 38% give or take had Buckets
the only special item on this car are the green components, standard with white interior would be grey dash, wheel, etc.
after 1964 this became a regular option code not SO example on 70 white leather red components would be code 353

no one other than myself has the real production record of SO cars and non-standard Eldo color cars

Series75

I've seen SO referred to as SHOP ORDER rather than Special Order, does authentic Cadillac evidence exist supporting the correct nomenclature?  Tom CLC 6866

Jeff Rosansky CLC #28373

Must really have been something to have walked into a dealership, sit down with a book and pick what you want ( ok, I am trying to say "afford to").
A lot of the romance of buying and owning a car is gone now.
As I write this, I am at the Honda dealership getting an oil change. They came out, wrote a couple things down, put a sign on the car and directed me to the waiting room. Free coffee and DIY on the tv.
Something tells me it was different 50 years ago.
Jeff
Jeff Rosansky
CLC #28373
1970 Coupe DeVille (Big Red)
1955 Series 62 (Baby Blue)
Dad's new 1979 Coupe DeVille

Quote from: Jeff Rose                                         CLC #28373 on August 05, 2016, 08:34:02 AM
Must really have been something to have walked into a dealership, sit down with a book and pick what you want

You mean like this?

This part probably hasn't changed all that much?  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eaPelZgeaA

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Quote from: Series75 on August 05, 2016, 08:16:25 AM
I've seen SO referred to as SHOP ORDER rather than Special Order, does authentic Cadillac evidence exist supporting the correct nomenclature?  Tom CLC 6866
Tom,
That subject was BEAT TO DEATH several years ago. I suggest doing a search.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.