News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

1918 Cadillac Coupe

Started by 29caddy, June 01, 2017, 08:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

29caddy

Hi:
I'm wondering if anyone could shed some light on my 1918 Cadillac Coupe. I have found that this model was produced in 1917--and discontinued in 1918. My 4 passenger coupe is a cast aluminum body, however on my sill plate--I have the Erdman &Guider build plate. Obviously Cadillac did have some of their closed car bodies built by custom body shops. I also read the Erdman & Guider were teaching the Fisher body brothers how to cast a closed car body.

Can anyone shed more light on this topic?
picture of my Cadillac below

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Realistically... No one on this board speaks 1918. I suggest the AACA or some other club that is involved with teens vehicles. The CLC was never strong in this time frame.
HTH, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

The Tassie Devil(le)

I have never heard of any company making a cast Aluminium body.

Made out of Aluminium, but not cast.   That would be a huge undertaking, and if ever crashed, it would be destroyed.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

29caddy

Pierce Arrow had cast bodies, and were very strong. It's the content of the aluminum mix,

Carl Fielding

Oh , yes indeed. Big , fine cars back then were sometimes clad in cast aluminum bodies. Expensive bodies , sure. Cadilllacs of the period were big fine cars , the powerful V8 engine by 1918 had removable cylinder heads. Drive a Cadillac of the period if you get a chance. You will be impressed , and will feel the "Cadillac" in it. An '18 in very good mechanical condition was the first ancient Cad I ever drove in my hunt for "oldies". Surprisingly solid and stable. I seem to remember this car being for sale a while ago. Love at first sight for me. If I had the money I worked and slaved for , I would have bought it immediately. I imagine with that coachwork it is very tight and quiet. Is this correct ? After the G.N. last year , I lingered in 'Vegas , having a wonderful time with the great people I met there , and playing with one another's cars. This is a really huge 1914 Locomobile , a rare cast aluminum limo body. I would have stood in a long line with an expensive ticket to ride in my hand if it had been one of those types of 'Vegas attractions. These "Locos" were considerably more expensive than Cadillacs , which were in turn considerably more expensive than most cars at the time. I agree with Bob that AACA would also be a good source for info. Thank you for the additional pics. I hope I can see this car some day.  - Carl