News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Crooks are getting more creative...BEWARE!

Started by joeinbcs, June 23, 2017, 10:26:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeinbcs

I have an ad looking for a perfect two lock wire hubcap for my '78 Seville.
I received this unsolicited email:

Hello Buddy

I'm emailing in respect to your advert. Please let me know if you are still looking for  1978 Seville Wire Wheel Cover , Email and I'll get back to you.

Warm Regards
Martin A. Greathouse
1702 Chesterfield St,
Garden City, KS 67846

The same day, I received a text message from a friend who sells used Cadillac parts recommending that I contact Greathouse.
So, this morning, as I was about to send the money, I called John, who does not know this guy, and did not send me a text.
I don't know how he was able to hijack a number like this, but I'm glad I checked before sending the money.
Then I did a search here, and there's a guy of a different name but the same MO.

So...if you receive an unsolicited offer, and if they don't take the common means of payment....I would give it the old "hairy eyeball"...
Joe Northrop
9633 Whispering Ridge
College Station, TX  77845
joenorthrop@yahoo.com
979-324-6432

1967 Eldorado, Atlantis Blue Firemist (slick top), Blue leather.

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Guys,
There's a number of BIG red flags in that email! If you can't figure them out, I'll be glad to discuss them off line.
Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

quadfins

Yes, this "seller" is suspect, and buyer beware is appropriate. Others on this forum have been contacted, as well.

Jim
Jim Eccleston
1961 Coupe de Ville
BATILAC
Senior Crown
DeCou Driving Award x 4

chrisntam

Quote from: Bob Hoffmann CLC#96 on June 23, 2017, 03:40:41 PM
Guys,
There's a number of BIG red flags in that email! If you can't figure them out, I'll be glad to discuss them off line.
Bob

Oh Bob,

Just tell us.

I'll start.

No phone number?
Lack of proper grammer?
The fact that people that these people should meet the business end of a chipper / shredder?

Am I close to what you're thinking?

1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

Chris,
Well... OK!
Hi BUDDY,
In RESPECT to your ADVERT.
WARM REGARDS,
NICE sounding ANGLO name.
Now... put him in the shredder.
Don't ask me what I propose to do with taggers!! Bring plenty lube!!
LOL, Bob
1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

nolacaddy1960

Quote from: joeinbcs on June 23, 2017, 10:26:13 AM
I have an ad looking for a perfect two lock wire hubcap for my '78 Seville.
I received this unsolicited email:

Hello Buddy

I'm emailing in respect to your advert. Please let me know if you are still looking for  1978 Seville Wire Wheel Cover , Email and I'll get back to you.

Warm Regards
Martin A. Greathouse
1702 Chesterfield St,
Garden City, KS 67846

The same day, I received a text message from a friend who sells used Cadillac parts recommending that I contact Greathouse.
So, this morning, as I was about to send the money, I called John, who does not know this guy, and did not send me a text.
I don't know how he was able to hijack a number like this, but I'm glad I checked before sending the money.
Then I did a search here, and there's a guy of a different name but the same MO.

So...if you receive an unsolicited offer, and if they don't take the common means of payment....I would give it the old "hairy eyeball"...

If the Syntax is off, or if they use the complete add title in the email it was likely a bot.

Note the extra spacing in the email's sentence about the item you have.  It's spaced abnormally, this is because this is a generated email.   

35-709

"If the Syntax is off, or if they use the complete add title in the email it was likely a bot."

Bot?

From Wikipedia ---
An Internet bot, also known as web robot, WWW robot or simply bot, is a software application that runs automated tasks (scripts) over the Internet.[1] Typically, bots perform tasks that are both simple and structurally repetitive, at a much higher rate than would be possible for a human alone. The largest use of bots is in web spidering (web crawler), in which an automated script fetches, analyzes and files information from web servers at many times the speed of a human. More than half of all web traffic is made up of bots.[2]
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

boseephuss

I received almost exactly the same note:

Hello Buddy

I'm emailing in respect to your advert. Please let me know if you are still looking for  1972 Eldorado Door Pull Strap Decorative End Caps, Email and I'll get back to you.

Warm Regards
Martin A. Greathouse
1702 Chesterfield St,
Garden City, KS 67846

For what it is worth, I contacted the Martin Greathouse in Garden City.  He said that is indeed his address, but that he is not the person who contacted me.  I went ahead and recommend he report the identity theft to Google.
J. Sims
CLC Member #48960216

V63

I'm missing something?

What is the point of useing someone else's name and address? Obviously they can't be sent a check? Nor money orders? Wire transfers are out.

I don't have much experience with western union but I find it hard to believe a valid ID isn't required?

The Tassie Devil(le)

I got caught out by using Western Union back in 2001, and will never use that means again.

I agreed to buy the part, sent the money, and never got the part.   And couldn't claim the money back.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Brad Ipsen CLC #737

I had the same guy write to me answering a want ad.  I asked a couple of questions that anyone knowing Cadillac's and the part would know but the answer was wrong.  Just be creative with questions and they will get tripped up.  I didn't do it but even a creative fake question should work also.
Brad Ipsen
1940 Cadillac 60S
1938 Cadillac 9039
1940 Cadillac 6267
1940 LaSalle 5227
1949 Cadillac 6237X
1940 Cadillac 60S Limo

David Greenburg

Post an ad for replacement blades for an original Cadillac wire stretcher, or maybe a power seat switch for a '36 Fleetwood 60S and see if he responds.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

V63

In a perfect world we should have a depository of 'scam' emails visible to anyone that desires to confirm if their suspect email matches. Not unlike those posting in this thread with a commonality of scam emails received.

boseephuss

The last one, "Gary Benefield," said his wife worked at MoneyGram, that he had issues with PayPal and had sworn them off, and that he would further reduce the price to accommodate the transfer cost.  They do indeed require an ID, so not sure how that happened.

I submitted a fraud claim via my bank, the FBI Cyber Crimes division, and MoneyGram.  The second one I received confirmed that they are looking to this forum specifically.

I would suggest not putting an actual email in your want ad and simply requesting initial contact come through the forum.

Quote from: V63 on June 26, 2017, 07:59:06 PM
I'm missing something?

What is the point of useing someone else's name and address? Obviously they can't be sent a check? Nor money orders? Wire transfers are out.

I don't have much experience with western union but I find it hard to believe a valid ID isn't required?
J. Sims
CLC Member #48960216

Steve Passmore

People forge ID's all the time.  They can fool immigration into a country so Western Union staff would be a breeze.
Steve

Present
1937 60 convertible coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe
1941 62 coupe

Previous
1936 70 Sport coupe
1937 85 series V12 sedan
1938 60 coupe
1938 50 coupe
1939 60S
1940 62 coupe
1941 62 convertible coupe x2
1941 61 coupe
1941 61 sedan x2
1941 62 sedan x2
1947 62 sedan
1959 62 coupe

gary griffin

I just received a similar email but it is "With Warm regards" from Micheal D. Pearce in Augusta Ks zip 67010, so it must be a different guy. I guess I will send him $275 and see what happens.        (Satire of course)
Gary Griffin

1940 LaSalle 5029 4 door convertible sedan
1942 Cadillac 6719 restoration almost complete?
1957 Cadillac 60-special (Needs a little TLC)
2013 Cadillac XTS daily driver