News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Grand National - less Cadillacs at show field - a developing trend?

Started by Scot Minesinger, June 18, 2018, 09:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan LeBlanc

My 70 is ready and able to drive across country at a moments notice - suspension is new, tires are new, exhaust is new, steering is mostly new, brakes are new, timing chain has been replaced, valve train has been done (new guides and seals), engine has been resealed, and the list goes on.  I would have no issue getting in and going.  In fact, in the case of a breakdown, I could fix this car cheaper than I could my VW's that we drive on a daily basis.  The problem is my wife wants to be in a modern car with air bags, 3 point seat belts, and crumple zones on a road trip.  I'm dying to take the 70 on a trip to visit friends coming up shortly that is 750 miles each way.  We break up the driving over two days, so 325 miles a day.  She won't hear of it.  I've dried wining, dining, and oh yes, what rhymes with the first two.  No way, no how.

Sometimes the willingness is there, it's the significant other that's the impediment.

But yet, she doesn't hesitate to hop in an aluminium can cruising at 35,000 feet and going somewhere.  If something goes wrong there, the survivability rate is non existent.  I at least feel like I'd have a chance in the Cadillac - lap belts and all.
Dan LeBlanc
1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car

David Greenburg

Dan:

Can’t fault her logic about the plane; per mile, you are certainly far safer up there than you are even in a 21st century car.  But as far as riding in the Cadillac, I suppose you still have some work to do.  My wife is happy to ride in them, including the ‘61 without belts.  But she won’t drive the ‘61 because she doesn’t want to be responsible for doing any damage; she’ll drive the ‘60 because it’s not original paint, and she wouldn’t feel as bad if something did happen. 
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Dan LeBlanc on June 19, 2018, 01:15:27 PM
The problem is my wife wants to be in a modern car with air bags, 3 point seat belts, and crumple zones on a road trip. 

That 'modern car' made of aluminum and recycled soda cans will die a fast, grisly death if involved in collision with your 19' long, 6' wide, 4,795lb all steel and cast iron rolling living room.

Try this, have the Mrs attempt to pick up/roll the donut that is the spare tire in the 'modern car'. THEN have her attempt to pick up/roll the spare in the '70... see if the dots connect. Sometimes women can't be "told", they have an opinion and that's it, information is irrelevant. You can breech that sometimes with having them experience a difference visually or tacitly with the size/weight of an object.

Speaking solely as a woman, etc. Good luck.

\m/
Laurie
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Jason Edge

I knew there was at least one 63 in that sea of 64 convertibles from last year. LOL
Again, Eldorados are fantastic, however, I like seeing a nice mix of Cadillac body styles like these seen in San Marcos:

Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

Jason Edge

Quote from: 49er on June 19, 2018, 02:42:36 PM
Btw Jason, that 63 was in the Self Stater, thought you should know
I always enjoy the GN issues of the Self-Starter.  They always do an excellent job presenting the Cadillacs and LaSalles on hand. I am definitely looking forward to 2018 GN Self-Starter issue.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
CLC MRC Benefactor

gmurph

The blue one is mine. The bubbles are rock guards that were installed by the original owner when she drove the car to Yellowknife. I remember riding in the car when I Wall 11. We used to go to her place in the mountains and bring it home so it could go to the dealer for service.
Greg Murphy CLC#24416

1941 60S
1952 Dodge B3F
1972 Coupe de Ville

Jason Edge

Quote from: 49er on June 19, 2018, 04:22:03 PM
Jason, but that s not what you said. You referred to some 63 custom wagon and said no ther 63s. I would think one who leads the 63 ,64 chapter would know that. But first you say no 63s were present and then you say you knew there was another,  so which is it??
Art, I was not at that 2017 Grand National and have to go on pictures and info I was provided by Chapter members and others. I was sent the picture below which shows 8 1964 Convertibles. From memory I was also pretty sure there was at least one 1963.  You indicated your 63 convertible was in attendance which is fantastic!  It is good to know the 63's were represented by at least one example. I also know that Clifton Muskus was there with his 1964 4 Window Sedan de Ville, so that is at least one hard top.  That does not, however, make a great mix of body styles. In San Marcos we had 6 cars... representing six model year/body styles.

As far as the 63 customer wagon, I was sent a picture of John Warner's 1963 De Ville Station Wagon Custom. He was at the GN with his 63 but do not believe his car was on the show field. Again, I was not in attendance and relying on information provided by others.

Here was the picture of the 64 convertibles I was provided. I think it is cool to have that many similar cars on hand at one time, but again I also appreciate the other body styles.

Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
CLC MRC Benefactor

Jason Edge

Art, I stated "I believe last year, the one GN I have missed recently, had a sea of 1964 Eldorado's, and no 63's other than a converted wagon parked over to the side." I believe is not a declarative statement. I stated what I recall and if my not knowing your 63 was there offends you, I apologize.   

Again, I was pointing out the over abundance of 1964 Convertibles compared to other 1963/64 Cadillac body styles. Personally, I like the fact we had a great mix of model years and body styles in San Marcos which was the point of my post.

Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
CLC MRC Benefactor

Jason Edge

Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
CLC MRC Benefactor

Bob Hoffmann CLC#96

1968 Eldorado slick top ,white/red interior
2015 Holden Ute HSV Maloo red/black interior.

Too much fun is more than you can have.

Scot Minesinger

I forgot when I was a kid during the 1960's and 1970's during the summer the roads were clear and everyone stayed inside or home due to extreme summer heat in the 90's. 

I drove my 1970 Caddy 100 miles top down on Fathers day and it was delightful in the 92'F weather!  Positive attitude goes a long way and my girl friend understands a convertible is for putting the top down.

Seriously, the heat keeps people away??!!  I see people coming in from the GN 2018 TX show field in boots, hats, long sleeve and etc. complaining of heat - dress for the weather - adapt.  The classic car hobby is dominated by summer events.  Look for a way to make it work.  The heat does not bother me, but the cold does, so I don't take up skiing, ice skating, dog sledding and other cold weather hobbies.  And again seriously if we don't bring cars to GN there is no GN.  If KY has 75 cars that will be on a par with our local DC area Cadillac only shows.  There should be at least 250 showfield cars.

I do also think we need to be more welcoming to newbies.

1964 and 1963 guys - agree with Bob - lighten up - this is supposed to be a fun hobby.

Laurie,

I invite you to join the CLC and if you want caravan to KY with us, I have every part and tool that a 1970 Caddy needs.  Several family relatives live in NH along seacoast and I drive there several times a year - I can check your Caddy out, meet with Scott your mechanic and tell you what I think about your 1970 Fleetwood this year.

Thanks,

Scot
Fairfax Station, VA  22039 (Washington DC Sub)
1970 Cadillac DeVille Convertible
1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille
1970 four door Convertible w/Cadillac Warranty

chrisntam

..............crowd chanting...……….Laurie, Laurie, Laurie...………..crowd chanting...……..Laurie, Laurie, Laurie...…….crowd chanting...…….Laurie, Laurie, Laurie...………

See you and the Ark in Louisville!!

chris.
1970 Deville Convertible 
Dallas, Texas

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: chrisntam on June 19, 2018, 09:31:59 PM
..............crowd chanting...……….Laurie, Laurie, Laurie...………..crowd chanting...……..Laurie, Laurie, Laurie...…….crowd chanting...…….Laurie, Laurie, Laurie...………

See you and the Ark in Louisville!!

chris.

ROTFLMAO!
You RAWK Chris!

Jeez and I thought us b1tches could fight! Yowza!

Hey forum, pretty soon you'll have to take me 'seriously', mjussayin'
Heh, heh, heh!

\m/
Laurie!

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

Cape Cod Fleetwood

Quote from: Scot Minesinger on June 19, 2018, 06:58:24 PM
Laurie,

I invite you to join the CLC and if you want caravan to KY with us, I have every part and tool that a 1970 Caddy needs.  Several family relatives live in NH along seacoast and I drive there several times a year - I can check your Caddy out, meet with Scott your mechanic and tell you what I think about your 1970 Fleetwood this year.

Thanks,

Scot

Let me know Scot, it would be an honor and privilege to meet up with you!

\m/
Laurie!

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

D.Smith

Quote from: StevenTuck on June 20, 2018, 08:17:28 AM
I tell you that one big issue for me is accommodations. I was going to the DC event and tried to get a room in January and all was gone but one room with a king bed. My mother was going and she would have had to sleep in a roll-away. I found out that most of the accommodations had been reserved right after the previous GN. What's up with this? If it's going to cost over a thousand dollars to go to an event, I want to have good / available accommodations. And unless the event is in close proximity to you, it is going to cost that.

I think this issue along with many suggestion Laurie made are worth exploring.

We ended up staying at a Marriot Residence Inn not far from the DC host Hotel.   We just used the Hotels shuttles to get back and forth.  And the room rate for a Studio suite was a few dollars cheaper than a standard room at the host hotel.    I understand that it is preferable to stay at the host hotel especially if you are bringing a show car.  But there are options.   At the Lake George GN in 2014 a few of us with old cars stayed at a lovely Motel within walking distance to the host hotel.   We left our old Cadillacs there until show day.  It worked out great. 

Jay Friedman

Quote from: D.Smith on June 20, 2018, 09:48:42 AMAt the Lake George GN in 2014 a few of us with old cars stayed at a lovely Motel within walking distance to the host hotel.   We left our old Cadillacs there until show day.  It worked out great.

I did the same at Lake George by staying in a really nice motel across the street from the host hotel.  Kept my car at the host hotel in its assigned space, and used it a couple of times to go out for dinner or go on short excursions with my wife.
1949 Cadillac 6107 Club Coupe
1932 Ford V8 Phaeton (restored, not a rod).  Sold
Decatur, Georgia
CLC # 3210, since 1984
"If it won't work, get a bigger hammer."

Barry M Wheeler #2189

The reason for the "rolling" across the country is to give all of our members a chance to attend. When we started out, we used a "windshield wiper" effect. One year, East Coast, next year, West Coast, next year, Midwest. In some forty years, it has worked well. Sure, I imagine we could pick one location and have it there every year. What about the folks who live thousands of miles away? I couldn't afford to go to Pebble each year. Wouldn't you get tired of going to the same place all the time? I can tell you for certain, 99% of the wives would! We found that out in a big hurry. I think most single marque clubs move around as we do. (Packard will be in my area next year.)

If ALL you want is to "look at the cars," a permanent location is great. But many of our members use this as a base for their vacations each year. So, they want something new to see. The ambient temperature IS taken into consideration by the planning committee. What's been done before is taken into consideration. The hotel location AND amenities are considered. Most first class inns these days have refrigerators and exercise rooms. We had to change the Region's preference for a host hotel for next year because it wasn't up to CLC standards.

For most of our members, having their car judged is very important to them. Why would they sit through a three hour banquet if it were not? At present, we have some requirements for tires, hose clamps, and batteries that I personally think are a little weird myself. One of my cars "beat" the system with a Delco tag bought on eBay covering the Sears Die Hard tag and some black paint on the back side covering the big lettering. Once on the East Coast at a GN, I left my arm on top of a cracked arm rest while I was turning the lights on and so forth. (I did 'fess up in Boston that my '78 SDV had a '79 grille...I wanted it to match my wife's '79.)

New Cadillacs are welcome, but are display only. (I think the Valley Forge guys showed up at Carson City in a brand new maroon Cadillac rental and got a first place. That was before we decided that newer cars shouldn't be judged. They did get a lot of hooting and hollering at the banquet.)

One other thing about a fixed location. Who're you going to get to run it? Generally, after two years of planning, those folks putting on a GN the Monday after don't want to hear anything about old cars for months.

We have had speakers before and I think that's a notion that should be investigated more fully. I plan to mention it next month at our planning meeting for next year. Maybe we can get someone great if we give them a case of Jim Beam.

As far as the host hotel being sold out quickly, I think much of the reason is that we have a lot of overseas members attend. Reserve your room ASAP. If you don't come, call and cancel it. You don't have to pay for it up front. And, the committee has had lots of experience on how many rooms to set aside. Last year was an exception, mainly as it was in the nation's capitol.

And remember, don't let your suggestions languish on the Forum. If you don't present them to the Committee Members or officers, they will not get addressed. How many members chimed in on this thread? Two dozen? What you say here might be noticed, or it might not. If you feel strongly about something, let someone who might be able to make a change know about it.

Barry M. Wheeler #2189

1981 Cadillac Seville
1991 Cadillac Seville

Jason Edge

Quote from: Barry M Wheeler #2189 on June 20, 2018, 12:17:34 PM
The reason for the "rolling" across the country is to give all of our members a chance to attend. When we started out, we used a "windshield wiper" effect. One year, East Coast, next year, West Coast, next year, Midwest. In some forty years, it has worked well. Sure, I imagine we could pick one location and have it there every year. What about the folks who live thousands of miles away? I couldn't afford to go to Pebble each year. Wouldn't you get tired of going to the same place all the time? I can tell you for certain, 99% of the wives would! We found that out in a big hurry. I think most single marque clubs move around as we do. (Packard will be in my area next year.)

If ALL you want is to "look at the cars," a permanent location is great. But many of our members use this as a base for their vacations each year. So, they want something new to see. The ambient temperature IS taken into consideration by the planning committee. What's been done before is taken into consideration. The hotel location AND amenities are considered. Most first class inns these days have refrigerators and exercise rooms. We had to change the Region's preference for a host hotel for next year because it wasn't up to CLC standards.

Barry, I agree 1000%!  If it were not for the GN's bouncing around the nation this southern boy may have never discovered the Northern Charm of Boston, and Lake George, or the rich history of St Augustine and San Marcos, or seen those beautiful "blue evergreens" in Wisconsin.   Yes, it is nice to have a good representation of Cadillacs and LaSalles on hand, but I also enjoy the tours and activities offered by the local hosting regions, and of course the camaraderie and fellowship of taking a Cadillac Vacation with like-minded Cadillac Friends and Family.

I will also add that now with the CLC assuming more of the responsibilities of hosting a Grand National, through the NMTC (National Meets and Tours Committee) with Marsha Redman at the helm, smaller regions such as Central Texas can now host Grand Nationals, and we the CLC members have opportunities to visit and discover even more diverse locations. Sure, you may not have as many Cadillacs & LaSalles driven to the more distant GNs, however, the 500+ members and guests that filled the San Marcos Embassy Suites host hotel demonstrates that a small region can still host a successful Grand National.

Grand Nationals are what you make of them and should not only be measured by how many cars show up or cars you can count in a picture someone posts online, but the overall experience.  As far as San Marcos, hanging out with 500+ CLC members, staying in a very nice Embassy Suites hotel, with rooms big enough for me to host a 63/64 Cadillac Chapter Meet-Up, and the tours and activities made this one of my favorite Grand Nationals.   
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
CLC MRC Benefactor

STS05lg

Steve, I am sorry your plans to the GN in McLean did not work. Though I would tell you that on the day the hotel registration opened the block rooms were all taken in approximately 4 hours. That had never happend at any GN. So many CLC members tried to reserve rooms that it crashed the link Hilton had set up to accept reservations at the GN rate. Ronnie Hux from the Valley Forge Region worked 18 hours that day answering the phone as a result of calls from members that could not get though to the Hilton web site and contacting the hotel to try to increase the room block at the GN rate. An unusually large number of members chose to make the McLean GN a family vacation. Some members who got through on the first day reserved 2, 3, and 4 rooms for the week. The hotel had 460 rooms,with approximately 60 that were delegated to international flight crews. in the end CLC utilized approximately all the remaining 400 and the back up hotel had about 120 room with CLC members. Even at San Marcos the young lady from the Louisville hotel  was busy all day for two days taking advance reservations. So the moral of the story is that even though most GNs are not like the McLean GN in 2017 or Detroit in 2002, make your reservations early... Best, Lynn

Greg Powers

Have you ever heard anyone say, "The speaker was right on point and then he started chasing rabbits"? Well I think that this discussion has chased several. On the original topic of Cadillacs and LaSalles at a Grand National as has been stated before, the vast majority of our cars are grouped on the East and West coasts. There are many reasons for this, most obviously the distribution of our nation's population. Generally Grand Nationals held west of the Mississippi are not as well attended as those east of the Mississippi. Even if you live in Texas, it could have been a long drive to the Grand National as Texas is larger than many European nations. Cost is also becoming a factor for folks, especially for younger members with families, sometimes averaging between $1,000 and $2,000 for transportation, lodging, and any extra tours or events. Judging is also a new issue at Grand Nationals. We are only a few years into completely revised judging guidelines that have included the elimination of the Senior Class as a judging class. Some people are still a bit unsettled with the new judging format. And if people really want to see large numbers of cars at shows to be judged, we need more people to step up to be judges. The Grand National of 2016 was not one of our more stellar judging events due to the ratio of cars to judges. As Barry said earlier, a lot of our folks like to take something home with their car if they go to the time and trouble to bring it to the show. So, if you see things that need to change, remember it's your club. Work with your Board members and make it happen.
G.L. Powers>1954 Series 62 Sedan/1958 Fleetwood 60 Special-sold/1963 Series 62 Convertible-sold/1970 Fleetwood Brougham-sold/1994 Fleetwood Brougham/1971 Sedan Deville-sold/2000 Deville-sold/2001 DTS-sold/1976 Eldorado Convertible-sold/1983 Coupe Deville-sold/1990 Allante-sold/1990 and 1991 Brougham deElegance-sold/1992 Brougham-sold/Always looking!