News:

Please note that, while reinstating users, I have noticed that a significant majority have not yet entered a Security (Secret) Question & Answer in their forum profile. This is necessary for a self-service (quick) password reset, if needed in the future. Please add the Q&A in your profile as soon as possible

Main Menu

Mysterious Carburetor issue

Started by 64\/54Cadillacking, November 25, 2021, 03:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

64\/54Cadillacking

So I decided to remove the perfectly fine and working Eldelbrock 1406 carb that was on my 64 Cad, and reinstall the original Carter AFB that I personally rebuilt myself very carefully just because I wanted to go back to using the transmission kick down solenoid and having it back to original form.

Ever since I've owned that AFB it's always leaked gas, even after a rebuild. I can't understand why, using new gaskets, needle and seat, precisely measured float levels to factory spec ( 3/8 normal setting and a 2 inch float drop), the carburetor still floods like crazy and won't start. It's not a fuel pressure problem either since the pump is an old NOS pump from the 60's that works great and the Edelbrock was operating fine with no leaks, no issues at all prior to the Carter being reinstalled.

Does anyone know what else could cause a carburetor to flood and not run? I've exhausted my mind trying to figure out what's going on.

So then after the Carter flooding the engine, I decided to reinstall the Edelbrock and now the engine won't start! I installed everything how it was and I didn't make any changes to the process. I removed the spark plugs and checked them for fuel saturation and sure enough they were full of gas. I cleaned them all up and put them back in, and that still didn't fix the problem.

Would it be timing? The engine was running fine and was timed correctly so would I have to check it again after installing the carb? I don't think I should but I was just wondering.

The engine won't idle and if it does it cuts off quickly, it's just crank crank crank crank and a puff of gas vapors spewing from the carb. I didn't even mess with any of the settings on the Edelbrock as I left it the way it was and now I'm dealing with a freaking hiccup.

So I had a running 64 Cad, and now I don't all because I of my urge to go back to originality.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville
1954 Cadillac Fleetwood 60 Special
1979 Lincoln Mark V Cartier Designer Series
2007 Lexus LS 460L (extended wheelbase edition)

Previous Rides:
1987 Brougham D' Elegance
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental
1993 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
1978 Lincoln Continental ( R.I.P.) 1978-2024 😞

Lexi

Could be a number of things. One that comes to mind especially as you mentioned that it used to leak gas, is an ill fitting bowl gasket. After nearly 60 years of hot/cold temperatures to the carburetor, (and not knowing how the car was treated by previous owners), one item to check is for a leaky bowl gasket. I believe carb rebuilders like to sand flat those mating surfaces, if possible, (just like cylinder heads to the block). I went through 5 carbs on my car and with one the only fix to a leaky bowl gasket was to double up on them. That area had warped and no longer seated flat correctly. Something to check for. Clay/Lexi

Jon S

I posted a very similar problem with my Carter AFB a few weeks ago where my great running 1958 started stalling for no reason. In addition to excessive cranking to restart it, it exhibited a white cloud of gas vapor on the primary side when shut off. I rebuilt it and found nothing out of the ordinary. It is running fine again, but I don't know what has changed.

In reference to yours, there is no need to change the timing of it was OK before. Are you sure you put the mounting gaskets back in the right order and the tin plate directly under the carburetor?  Make sure the mounting nuts are good and tight.
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

wheikkila

One more thing to check is the float. A small pin hole will allow the float to sink.
               Thanks Wayne

64\/54Cadillacking

The leaking bowl gasket is an issue on that carb. It could be warped but i didn't check. I plan on getting the AFB professional rebuilt and looked over from the same person that rebuilt my WCFB carb that turned out excellent so maybe the carb guy can figure it out.

I did check and made sure that the mounting gaskets were seated properly and in order. The stainless steel shim that's mandatory on the AFB on my 64 was installed correctly as well. So I'm stumped. I plan on going out to the car a little bit later after Thanksgiving dinner and giving it another go. My guess is that the engine was so full of gas and hopefully some of it evaporated and will allow it start again.

It should start with the Edelbrock like it did before. Maybe some starting fluid will get it going.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville

Previous Rides:
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental

Jon S

Try unloading the carburetor before you start it. Hold the accelerator to the floor for 30 seconds then turn the key with it still depressed. If it starts, release the accelerator.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

64\/54Cadillacking

Thanks Jon, I'll try that.

BTW The floats were fine they don't have any leaks as I did the water test. All the vacuum lines and rear fitting is on correctly too.

I'll report back.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville

Previous Rides:
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental

dadscad

On the AFB, be sure the floats are centered so they don't rub the sides of the bowl wall and that they pivot without binding on the pin hinge supports. Are the bowl baffles installed correctly?
Enjoy The Ride,
David Thomas CLC #14765
1963 Coupe deVille

64\/54Cadillacking

I got the car running again! I held the pedal to the floor then I started it up and it ran great. I need to change the oil now since I hear the lifters ticking and tacking from the fuel diluted oil.

I didn't check the baffles, but I did find it difficult to reinstall the top half of the carburetor getting it to line up correctly. I'm just going to get it rebuilt but for now the Edelbrock works fine and is less of a hassle.
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville

Previous Rides:
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental

fishnjim

Hate to say it, but apparently you caused a problem.  Nothing mysterious here.  Anytime something doesn't run after it been worked on, the work is at fault.   An old rule of troubleshooting, ala NASA.

It's becoming a lost art as us old carb era guys disappear.   People are used to fuel injection, now, and not carbs and points.
Take it as a learning exercise...

Jon S

Quote from: dadscad on November 25, 2021, 07:51:10 PM
On the AFB, be sure the floats are centered so they don't rub the sides of the bowl wall and that they pivot without binding on the pin hinge supports. Are the bowl baffles installed correctly?

I totally concur.  Save your money on sending it to a rebuilder.   All you need to do is remove the top of the carburetor and ensure that the floats are parallel to the outside edge to prevent any binding of the floats and your flooding problem should disappear and the car should run as new.
Jon

1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

64\/54Cadillacking

Thanks guys, I appreciate it I might tackle it again in the near future, but right now I'm leaving the Edelbrock on the car as it's running good again. Happy Thanksgiving!
Currently Rides:
1964 Sedan Deville

Previous Rides:
1994 Fleetwood Bro
1972 Sedan Deville
1968 Coupe Deville
1961 Lincoln Continental

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Check the floats actually float. I rebuilt a carb a number of years ago and had the same problem, the float was punctured and was full of fuel so the carb constantly flooded as the needle valve never shut.