News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

‘58 hydramatic filling after rebuild.

Started by Rdtreur, March 02, 2022, 02:56:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rdtreur

I got my '58 hydramatic back from the rebuilder and put it back in the car. Now I need to fill it up with fresh oil. I Heard that there is a special way to fill it up and get all the 11 quarts in there without throwing it out of the filling tube.
Please help me out if you can.

Pic for attention:
R.D. Treur
Past caddy’s:
‘68 convertible ‘70 Eldorado,  ‘75 sedan, ‘75 Fleetwood

fishnjim

Procedure is in the shop manual.   Not sure if in the '57 part or the '58 supplement - need both for '58.   You can fill the torus, there's a 1/4" pipe plug before you put it in(3-4 qts).     You can avoid that but has to be running at something like 800 rpm during filling which is tough if the motors rebuilt as well.   And don't forget the shims for the flexplate.
It's a bear to get the lines back on, and you have to do before all the way up.   I spliced mine so it's easier when I made new lines.
Should have the cooler in the radiator cleaned before you start it up, or you'll just send goo into your fresh tranny.   Any trans shop with the equipment can do that.

They have to run/idle to measure on the stick, so don't be alarmed if it doesn't all go in at first.   Put a catch pan under the car, as it's likely to leak for a while.

Rdtreur

Thanks, I don't have the '57 or '58 shop manual. My car is a '52 with a '58 motor/trans.
The trans is allready in the car and the torus is empty. Shims and lines are in place.
The motor is not rebuild so I just fill it up while running 800 rpm .

I can check my '52 manual to see if there is a procedure.

R.D. Treur
Past caddy’s:

J. Gomez

Quote from: Rdtreur on March 02, 2022, 05:07:07 PM
Thanks, I don't have the '57 or '58 shop manual. My car is a '52 with a '58 motor/trans.
The trans is allready in the car and the torus is empty. Shims and lines are in place.
The motor is not rebuild so I just fill it up while running 800 rpm .

I can check my '52 manual to see if there is a procedure.

Ramon,

I do not recall seeing any details on the Service Manual on your particular topic on the procedure to refill a new/rebuilt transmission, mostly details on the Service Manual are for adding or replacing.

What Jim mention above is what the Service Manual indicates for replacing existing fluids, so it could be applicable for a new refill as well.   ???

I would also suggest to wait for Roger Zimmerman for his advice as he is the guru on these transmissions.   ;)

Good luck..!
J. Gomez
CLC #23082

Roger Zimmermann

Thanks for the flowers, Jose!
The '57 shop manual has the same text as the '59 manual. The idea is to have enough oil in the transmission to avoid some damage. Don't do like I did on my '56 Biarritz: I started the engine with a dry transmission!
1956 Sedan de Ville (sold)
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
1957 Eldorado Brougham (sold)
1972 Coupe de Ville
2011 DTS
CLCMRC benefactor #101

Rdtreur

Thanks for all the input guys. I will fill her up with 8 qrts and start cranking:-)
R.D. Treur
Past caddy’s:

savemy67

Hello Ramon,

If the transmission was out of the car, you could have done something like I did in the attached photo.  Since the transmission is in the car, you are better off doing as you plan - using the engine to rotate the transmission.  Your post says you will crank the engine.  Do you literally mean using the starter, and just cranking the engine without running the engine?  I would advise against this as you are likely to discharge the battery and overheat the starter.

To properly fill the transmission, it takes several minutes of the engine/transmission running - and shifting through the gears - to fill all the hydraulic passages,  fluid coupling, etc., as well as to get the fluid up to operating temperature.

Respectfully submitted,

Christopher Winter
Christopher Winter
1967 Sedan DeVille hardtop

fishnjim

Thought I had a digital copy but books down in the garage.

Have to measure the level at idle.   Level raises when the engines not running, but a good place to start before firing.   The revs above idle are needed to fill the torus and the cooler, so you probably will only get about ~8 qts in at first.   The procedure to drain all the fluid talks bout that.