News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Zerk Fittings

Started by Ohjai, March 01, 2023, 02:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohjai

Does anyone know the size of the Zerk Fittings for a 38 60S?

Seven of ten of mine are painted over and will not take grease even after removing the paint.

Thanks

Jim
'38 Cadillac Series 60 S
'41 Cadillac Series 60 S
2017 Cadillac CT6
'62 Buick Skyhawk Conv
'49 Bentley MK-VI  Sold
'53 Bentley R-Type  Sold
'66 Ford Thunderbird
'64 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III
'75 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad Sold
'78 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad II
'80 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith II  Sold
'81 Rolls-Royce Camargue  Sold
'88 Rolls-Royce Corniche II
'89 Rolls-Royce Silver Spur
2020 Ford Escape

bcroe

I do not know about a 38, but all I have seen
are screwed in, not so hard to replace.  In my
yard days I unscrewed a lot of them to create
my collection.  Yes there are a few varieties,
size and angle.  Bruce Roe

pmhowe

It is easy enough to remove a couple of them and take them to your local NAPA (or brand of your choice) parts store. Each of them  should have them in stock. Fortunately, zerk fittings are readily available.

Chopper1942

I assume you are talking about the kingpins, upper and lower spindle pivot pins, upper and lower inner control arm pivots.  Usually the tie rod ends, pitman arm, and idler arm are not an issue. Very seldom the zert is the problem when it will not take grease. The zert is just a ball bearing held against its seat (to keep dirt and moisture from getting into the joint/part) by a spring. Usually the problem is the old grease in the joint has solidified or if it is a king pin zert, the bushing has turned in the spindle.  Sometimes if you can heat the joint, it will liquify the old grease and you can pump in new grease. If that doesm't work, you need to diassemble and clean up the parts. 

fishnjim

They're SAE and only a couple sizes usually 1/8 or 1/4", maybe 3/8 but not likely.   Depends if pipe or straight thread which you won't know til you remove.
Take one off(clean off thoroughly, unscrew (small closed end wrench- if possible) and soak in kerosene or some cleaner solvent.  Probably can reuse if not rusted. 
But agree, the old grease turns "solid" and needs removed before refilling. 
https://saeproducts.com/grease-fittings.html

TJ Hopland

I say the same thing, pretty rare its the fitting that is the issue. Most of the time you only have to replace them when they get broken. 
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Ohjai

Thanks everyone.  Went to NAPA today, they had 1 card with 5 of the larger Zerks, they did not have the smaller one..

I will remove, lean with solvent and heat, then grease through them and reinstall.

iim
'38 Cadillac Series 60 S
'41 Cadillac Series 60 S
2017 Cadillac CT6
'62 Buick Skyhawk Conv
'49 Bentley MK-VI  Sold
'53 Bentley R-Type  Sold
'66 Ford Thunderbird
'64 Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III
'75 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad Sold
'78 Rolls-Royce Silver Shad II
'80 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith II  Sold
'81 Rolls-Royce Camargue  Sold
'88 Rolls-Royce Corniche II
'89 Rolls-Royce Silver Spur
2020 Ford Escape

TJ Hopland

Not that cleaning them up is a bad thing but maybe before you do that after you get them off see if the fitting itself will take grease.  If it does you will know that wasn't the issue and its going to take more than clean fittings to solve the issues.  If it is still stuck then you know that is all you have to 'fix'.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Daryl Chesterman

Another thing to check on zerk fittings is that the little ball at the end of the fitting should be flush to  slightly protruding at the end—this seals out dirt and water.  If the ball is recessed, the zerk will get dirt in it and when you grease the fitting you will be injecting a bit of dirt into whatever it is that you are trying to lubricate.  Zerk fittings are cheap, so when in doubt, just replace it.

Daryl Chesterman