News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

59 cruise control

Started by Paul, August 28, 2023, 10:26:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

This may be a silly question, but does anyone know what tool I can use to remove these bolts on the cruise control brain? I'm not familiar with this star pattern and don't know the size or what to use. Any help would be great. Thanks.
59 Caddy, Seminole Red with Dover White top

The Tassie Devil(le)

Sometimes engineers design things so that only people with the correct training can work on stuff.

I remember when new models were coming out, in some cases, special tools were required to do stuff, and only licences professionals had the authority to purchase the "special" tools.

I remember when Ford brought out cars with tamper-proof screws, like holding the radios and ignition modules in place to stop, or slow down the criminals from stealing parts, or cars.   As years go by, the tools become available to the general public, because the makers have made the next new anti-theft and tamper screws.

Don't forget when Electrical suppliers, fitted screws with 3 point heads to ensure that their Service Reps could only repair them.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon
1960 Cadillac CDV
1972 Cadillac Eldorado Coupe

Eldovert

Paul,
I have had good luck using new, narrow nosed vice grips to undo those fasteners...I say new because worn jaws will just slide off the fastener.If that doesn't work then get a dremel with a narrow cutting disc and grind a slot across the head of the bolt..then use a flat blade screw driver to undo.
HTH,Pat MacPhail

59-in-pieces

Paul,

Have you tried a 12 point socket or a square 8 point socket, small throat - 3/8 drive.
It worked for me on the screw on the steering column cover - bottom dash - same design.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

JayRudig390

You can use a metric 12 point socket ...just keep trying one until it grabs. Otherwise take a dremel and cut a line in the head. Then use a flathead.