News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

OK to raise control arm couple of inches to put on shock??

Started by Bpeterson, September 16, 2023, 10:06:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bpeterson

1972 El Dorado did a suspension rebuild... all put back together except the shock.

-the bottom control arm has to be raised up a couple of inches to put the shock on.  How much stretch do the control arm bushings have?  Is it OK to jack up the bottom of the lower control arm a couple of inches without harming the bushings.  All that work I don't want to rip the bushings.

-also when I put the tire on it is not totally vertical....maybe will be fixed when alignment is done?

Great Forum!!

Chopper1942

That should be within the range of movement. But, since it has just been rebuilt, I would loosen the upper & lower control arm bushing bolts and then install the shocks. Lower the vehicle on the ground or place jack stands under the ball joints before tightening the control arm bushing bolts.

Bpeterson

Poncholover

Flattie Caddy