News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Replacing Wheel Well Splash Guards

Started by SteveB3155, September 16, 2023, 06:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveB3155

I ordered a set of rubber splash guards/A Arm dust shields for my 1961 convertible.  The originals are all dry rotted. Is there some sort of tool available to remove the heavy duty staples that hold the rubber pieces to the inner fender.  Took me quite a while to remove just one with a combination of needle-nosed pliers, blade screwdriver and snipper.  Conversely, once I get them all off, what sort of a heavy duty stapler (that can pierce sheet metal) is needed to install the new shields? I've tried searching on the internet, but am just confused by all the options.  Thanks for any advice
1961 Series 62 Convertible

Clewisiii

There is no easy way. Tear off the rubber completely. Flat head screw driver to get a gap. The side cutters. Then pliers go straighten and pull out.

To install clamp rubber in place ggf best you can. Small drill through metal and rubber. Install staples by hand.

"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Jason Edge

Just to add my experience from reinstalling some splash aprons on my 64 Coupe de Ville, you can often reuse the existing staple holes but you will usually need to drill them out slightly. My notes indicate 1/16" drill bit. Once you get the staple pushed through the apron and the metal, take some strong needle nose pliers and begin clinching the staple legs by rolling the nose of the pliers to approximate the shape of the original staple.  It is easier to do this with parts off the car ot engine out for certain splash aprons since some will be hard to reach.  Some like the hood to shroud seal, as seen by Clicking Here, is easy enough to install on the car... at least on the 64's. 
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

Jason Edge

Quote from: StevenTuck on September 17, 2023, 07:07:07 AMI will add one thing to Jason's comment. Once the staple is through, hold the staple in the center with plyers, then slightly bend each side of the staple inward. If you don't, the staple will start to pull out. Once you have each end of the staple bent inward, completely bend each side flat. This method is also applicable if you are replacing the window beltline felts and seals.
And to add a tad more to Steven's comment, I will often use a small to medium vice grip with a squared nose to hold the one leg of staple while you being to clinch and curl the other leg. I like the square nose as it allows you to hold firmly against the metal.
Jason Edge
Lifetime Member
Exec Vice President
1963/64 Cadillac Chapter Director - https://6364cadillac.ning.com
Carolina Region Webmaster - https://cr-clc.ning.com
CLC MRC Benefactor
email - jasonedge64@outlook.com
1964 Coupe DeVille - Sierra Gold - http://bit.ly/1WnOQRX
2002 Escalade EXT - Black
2013 Escalade EXT Premium Edition - Xenon Blue
2022 XT5 Luxury Premium - Dark Moon Blue Metallic

KOKNEYELDO

I replaced all of the splash guards on my 75' Eldo and not all were torn when I started on the suspension, but they were cracking.

It was easy using the needle-nose pliers, put them in solvent, they cleaned up great and all re-installed no problem.

Elbow grease, solvent, some fresh paint.

Here are some before and after photos.
Present cars:

1975 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
1957 Ford Thunderbird
2007 Jeep Commander Overland
2018 Audi A3

Come On You Blues!

Very impressive. This is the first time I See somebody re-use them. Which solvent did you use for cleaning?

Quote from: KOKNEYELDO on September 17, 2023, 08:12:48 PMI replaced all of the splash guards on my 75' Eldo and not all were torn when I started on the suspension, but they were cracking.

It was easy using the needle-nose pliers, put them in solvent, they cleaned up great and all re-installed no problem.

Elbow grease, solvent, some fresh paint.

Here are some before and after photos.
1962 Cadillac Series 62
1965 Pontiac Bonneville

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

I used stainless steel TIG welding rods to make the staples, never rust.

35-709

I used .041 stainless aircraft safety wire to make my staples for my '73.  PIA job, but once you get going it is not too bad.  Aircraft safety wire is available from Aircraft Spruce or several other places you can find with an internet search. 
1935 Cadillac Sedan resto-mod "Big Red"
1973 Cadillac Caribou - Sold - but still in the family
1950 Jaguar Mark V Saloon resto-mod - Sold
1942 Cadillac 6269 - Sold
1968 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible - Sold
1950 Packard 2dr. Club Sedan
1935 Glenn Pray - Auburn Boattail Speedster, Gen. 2

KOKNEYELDO

I used "Metal Rescue" which is a rust remover, removed all of the black tar and cleaned up the clips really well.

A stiff metal/wire brush and overnight soaking, along with the elbow grease.

It took some time with so many clips, but easy. A quick spray of some paint - job done.
Present cars:

1975 Cadillac Eldorado convertible
1957 Ford Thunderbird
2007 Jeep Commander Overland
2018 Audi A3

Come On You Blues!

Clewisiii

Quote from: SteveB3155 on September 16, 2023, 06:03:33 PMI ordered a set of rubber splash guards/A Arm dust shields for my 1961 convertible.  The originals are all dry rotted. Is there some sort of tool available to remove the heavy duty staples that hold the rubber pieces to the inner fender.  Took me quite a while to remove just one with a combination of needle-nosed pliers, blade screwdriver and snipper.  Conversely, once I get them all off, what sort of a heavy duty stapler (that can pierce sheet metal) is needed to install the new shields? I've tried searching on the internet, but am just confused by all the options.  Thanks for any advice

Steve, have you located all the proper locations for the splash guards. I am still trying to find the location and proper installation of a few.
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Clewisiii

I know the two on the upper left. I think I know the middle and right just not sure of any required flex in fitment. IMG_20230921_183023300.jpg

SteveB3155

More or less.  I haven't removed the old ones yet.  The kit from Rubber the right way contains 14 pieces, not just for the wheel well but for inside the bumper ends and behind the headlights.  There may be a few others I can't remember right now.

https://www.rubbertherightway.com/i-30497814-splash-apron-a-arm-dust-shield-kit.html

Clewisiii

I taped the rubber the the metal.

IMG_20230923_110806266.jpg

I clamped a board over the area.
IMG_20230923_111007763.jpg

I drilled through the metal rubber and into the board.IMG_20230923_111043609.jpg

I hammered the staples through the rubber and metal holes.
IMG_20230923_121748679.jpg

I used a bent needle nose to curve the staples. I then used a hammer and dolly to flatten them out. IMG_20230923_122726397_HDR.jpgIMG_20230923_122744192.jpg

Clewisiii

The staples are not as straight as I would have liked. But good enough for me. IMG_20230923_131637762_HDR.jpgIMG_20230923_131645311_HDR.jpgIMG_20230923_132147784_HDR.jpg

David Greenburg

Carl- let me know if you'd like any pix from my car. I had the "pleasure" of doing this job on my '60. At least you're doing it off the car and with everything clean. I had to wear goggles to keep all the road crud out of my eyes.
David Greenburg
'60 Eldorado Seville
'61 Fleetwood Sixty Special

SteveB3155

An update.  I was having a heck of a time removing the existing staples.  I didn't want to gouge up the inner fenders. I tried unbending the existing staples with a screwdriver, and a pair of needle nose pliers.  It was really tough.  Then I found a heavy duty staple lifter on the internet that did the trick. 

https://www.yourautotrim.com/osstaplif.html

The Tassie Devil(le)

You can make your own out of an old screwdriver.   Or, in the case of the long one, an old Trunk torsion bar.

Bruce. >:D
'72 Eldorado Convertible (LHD)
'70 Ranchero Squire (RHD)
'74 Chris Craft Gull Wing (SH)
'02 VX Series II Holden Commodore SS Sedan
(Past President Modified Chapter)

Past Cars of significance - to me
1935 Ford 3 Window Coupe
1936 Ford 5 Window Coupe
1937 Chevrolet Sports Coupe
1955 Chevrolet Convertible
1959 Ford Fairlane Ranch Wagon