News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

PPE's

Started by Chopper1942, September 29, 2023, 09:14:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chopper1942

Bruce, you are correct.

This applies to all petroleum cleaners: carb cleaner, mass air flow cleaner, propane for setting mixtures/starting vehicles. etc.

Almost everything we us to clean parts is explosive as a vapor or flammable and unless used in a well ventilated area should not be used where there is pilot lights or flame heaters.

Since I've been in the business for so long and automatically use PPE's when working, I often forget that most of the people reading this forum information do not have the knowledge to protect themselves. I ALWAYS wear safety glasses and nitrile gloves when working on or around a vehicle.

When grinding, using air tools, shop vac, etc. I put on ear muff style hearing protection and a face shield in addition to the safety glasses.

Any time I use an aerasol product, petroleum products, paint, or anything generating dust, and especially working on brakes I wear a resperator with the proper cartridges (dust & VOC). A dust mask will not protect you.

The PPE's (personal protection equipment) are protecting you from cumulative health issues, except for the eye protection which can be immediate.

Let's look at each one.

1. Safety glasses and/or a face shield are worn at all times. Nothing like getting a piece of steel, wire from
   a wire brush, piece of rust, or debris from blowing off parts with air. Been there & done that!
2. Hearing protection - most of the time. Any time around or using air tools, air compressor, shop vac, loud
   music, ect. Hearing loss is cumulative and you won't know until later in life.
3. Nitrile gloves should be worn at all times. Your skin absorbs chemicals and vapors it comes in contact
   with. Almost everything we use on a vehicle is harmful to us. A bonus is they also keep your hands clean.
4. Resperator. Not a dust mask. Use anytime there are vapors or dust generated. I had a friend who lost 60% of
   his lung capacity from using a dust mask, from an auto supply store, instead of a resperator when he
   painted an engine with a catalyized paint. He died a few years later from complications.

I went to an Automotive Training Managers Council convention and attended a seminar on "Why to Wear Gloves". The doctor who did the presentation stated that if you can smell or taste the vapors or product you are working with, your body has already absorbed it. I immediately understood why professional automotive painters wear a "moon suit" with a hood that has an outside air source.

Absolutely never ever work on or under a vehicle supported only with a jack, hydraulic or mechanical. Always support the vehicle with jack stands that are properly placed. Once on the jack stands, shake the car to make sure it is stable and won't shift.

Cement blocks and wood blocks stacked up are just an accident waiting to happen.

Clewisiii

My favorite shop upgrade was a bench spray booth. Fumes and dust control has been much better. The exhaust fan is belt drive so that nothing electrical is in the path of the exhaust. IMG_20230929_164947389.jpg

Flammable storage, stocked First Aid, 4 fire extinguishers at doors and spray booth. And permanent storage location for safety glasses.  IMG_20230929_165121994.jpgIMG_20230929_165039795.jpg
"My interest is in the future, because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."  Charles Kettering

Cape Cod Fleetwood

With NBC cartridges. These were BANNED from use during the face diaper flu frenzy in public places, because they were the ONLY commercially available product that would actually work. Ask yourself 'why'. Don't I look stylish?
There are 2 kinds of cars in the world, Cadillac and everything else....

The Present -1970 Fleetwood Brougham

The Past -
1996 Deville Concours
1987 Sedan De Ville "Commonwealth Edition"
1981 Coupe De Ville (8-6-4)
1976 Sedan De Ville
1975 Sedan De Ville

The Daily Driver and work slave -
2008 GMC Acadia SLT *options/all

Chopper1942

Clewisiii

You have a terrific set up. The flammable storage cabinet is something everyone should have.