News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

Convert Edelbrock 1406 to heat riser choke?

Started by Paul, October 20, 2023, 09:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

Looking for some creative solutions. I have a 1406 and want to convert the electric choke to work with the heat riser. I have the original Rochester carb for the car which has the original heat riser choke unit. Anyone know if I can install that on an AFB?
59 Caddy, Seminole Red with Dover White top

TJ Hopland

Interesting question.  I have only gone the other way, that is AFB where the heat part of the manifold wasn't practical to repair so I went to a parts store and got the current model edelbrock electric kit and fit that to the AFB.  I do remember it taking slight mods but it wasn't too bad.

I suppose the first question is does that carb have the air passage to suck the hot air in?  If it does then its just a matter of finding the right parts.
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Paul

Thanks—It does not, but I have the housing from the original carb that does have the heat riser housing- I'm wondering if it would transfer over?

"Cadillac Kid" Greg Surfas 15364

Paul
That carb was not made for a hot air choke and the least you will do by installing one is "cook" the carb
Greg Surfas
Cadillac Kid-Greg Surfas
Director Modified Chapter CLC
CLC #15364
66 Coupe deVille (now gone to the UK)
72 Eldo Cpe  (now cruising the sands in Quatar)
73 Coupe deVille
75 Coupe deElegance
76 Coupe deVille
79 Coupe de ville with "Paris" (pick up) option and 472 motor
514 inch motor now in '73-

TJ Hopland

Without that vacuum passage its not going to work.  You need that to draw the air through that choke tube in the intake that then gets heated and does its thing.

There were some choke setups that had an external in and out line but those tended to be much earlier designs like back in the 1 barrel days.  I would imagine you could hack a fitting in and plumb something in but that won't be stock and likely won't work as well as the electric so why bother?
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

Paul

Thank you for your thoughts, however, the Edelbrock 1406 does, indeed, have a passage for air to be sucked into the choke housing. I found an OEM-style choke setup that supports the hot air tube. One can put the choke housing on the carb without an issue. All that is required is to remove the factory-installed plug at the base of the carb housing.  The linkages are the same between the electric and original version. I was able to convert back to OEM without any issues except that I had to replace the heat tube in the intake manifold- which could not have been easier thanks to previous posts from members on this forum. 
The setup works quite well actually.