News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, which the board has delayed until May 15th to give users who are not CLC members time to sign up for the club, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

El Dorado rolling when in park

Started by Bpeterson, October 21, 2023, 10:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bpeterson

I have a 1972 El Dorado Cadillac.  Sometimes when the car is in park the car rolls as if in neutral.  It does not do it all the time.  When it is in park and rolls it makes a clicking sound.  Anybody have any comments on this one?  Thanks!!

V63

The shifting linkage to your transmission has 'grommets' that decay and fall out, this adds undesirable play to the linkage, and the detents are no longer accurate. It is  NOT going fully into park detent as a result.

TJ Hopland

Yep its wear in the pivots in what I think they called the bell crank.  Its the mechanism that changes the shift linkage direction from the vertical off the steering column to horizontal to go to the transmission.  For what ever reason the slightly different geometry of the FWD Eldos seem to make them much more prone to wear than on the RWD cars.

You can see the crank assembly if you look down under the hood below the steering shaft and its reasonable to access from below.  There were at least 2 versions of the crank assembly that were interchangeable. Not sure if some failed back in the day and were replaced with what was the current style or if they just had 2 different vendors and used what ever was on the shelf that day.  Which style doesn't seem to matter, they both have the wear issues.

What wears is one of the bushings which are plastic on both styles.  Maybe someone else can find the threads where we give specifics and part numbers but years ago when I had the issue with mine I figured out you can buy a universal door hinge pin bushing assortment and then using normal tools like a dremel or even a file fit one of those into the bracket to make a lasting repair.  Several people have done it now and I got 10+ years on my repair now so it works.     
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

TJ Hopland

bcroe

I am sooo glad they got the TH400 type trans in service
before they started building those front wheel drive
cars.  Bruce Roe

Bpeterson

Thanks guys for your replies!  Love my El Dorado!! And you guys help me keep it on the road!!

Here is what I found...not sure if they are for the right year 1972..... do you think these will work?

Tried to attach pictures but could not get it to work.

rock auto:

DORMAN 74039........OEM / Interchange Numbers: E0BZ7341B, E0BZ7431B
https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-5560-74039.aspx

DORMAN 74040......OEM / Interchange Numbers: E0SZ7341B, E0SZ7431B
https://www.dormanproducts.com/gsearch.aspx?type=keyword&origin=keyword&q=74040

DORMAN 74043.....OEM / Interchange Numbers: E0AZ7F330A
https://www.dormanproducts.com/gsearch.aspx?type=keyword&origin=keyword&q=74043

and on E bay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232301398211?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=711-53200-19255-0&campid=5338590836&toolid=10044&customid=41cb0885386417dbf1f76db06b5423bf

Bpeterson

The dorman parts will not work....for rear wheel drive. 

Mike Josephic CLC #3877

I have a 1973 Eldorado and had the same issues.  Yes, the issue
is the plastic grommets that were used to put that linkage
together.  Forget the originals, if you find an NOS set they will
crumble to bits when you try to install them.  I know -- I tried that.
The shifter will not go into Park with the loose linkage.

Honest John (RIP) did have a good reproduction set (I believe the
set is 4-5 bushings IRRC).  They work perfectly.  Not sure who
may have them now.  Somebody possibly took over his business (??)

Good luck,
Mike
1955 Cadillac Eldorado
1973 Cadillac Eldorado
1995 Cadillac Seville
2004 Escalade
1997 GMC Suburban 4X4, 454 engine, 3/4 ton
custom built by Santa Fe in Evansville, IN
2011 Buick Lucerne CX
-------------------------------------
CLCMRC Museum Benefactor #38
Past: VP International Affiliates, Museum Board Director, President / Director Pittsburgh Region

Bpeterson

Thanks Mike!  I could not find any parts via honest John (RIP), guessing no one took it over.  I will probably have to fabricate as Bruce and TJ did.  Does anyone know which of the 3 grommets is the most crucial?  I will start with that one.

And is there any adjustment under the steering column collar?

Thanks, Blake

TJ Hopland

Adjustment is made at the crank.  With the bad bushing the best you can do which is better than having it come out of park is to adjust it so it firmly goes into park but this will result in not being able to get into 1st and the indicator and back up lights being off. 

The adjustment under the dash is for the park/neutral switch which also does the backup light and parking brake release.

Its usually just one bushing that is shot.  Its the one on the side with the actual crank arm plate sort of thing.  Makes sense since its the side that is doing the work. Because its against the plate is why you don't have to have a perfect fit with the door bushing.  You put the flange between the bracket and arm so it holds the bushing in. 

The only thing about the door bushing repair that is different than if you could get the right parts is you have to clean up/resize the hole in the bracket to fit the new bushing.  Even if you could get a new production correct part putting it in a worn hole would not likely last very long.       

Bpeterson

Thanks TJ...appreciate all your help!!  I will work on it this weekend using your suggestions.