News:

Reminder to CLC members, please make sure that your CLC number is stored in the relevant field in your forum profile. This is important for the upcoming change to the Forums access, More information can be found at the top of the General Discussion forum. To view or edit your profile details, click on your username, at the top of any forum page. Your username only appears when you are signed in.

Main Menu

62 - Losing power above 45 - Fuel delivery or points?

Started by dixoncj, December 04, 2023, 08:57:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lexi

TJ Hopland

Anyone know if the pump in the video was an original 59 or a later replacement?  I wasn't expecting it to be constructed like that in 59.  That design with the valves seems more like it was designed for production cost savings than function and serviceability.  Or was the change in that kind of thing ww2?  Pre war stuff the valves would have all been threaded one way or another.   
73 Eldo convert w/FiTech EFI, over 30 years of ownership and counting
Somewhat recently deceased daily drivers, 80 Eldo Diesel & 90 CDV
And other assorted stuff I keep buying for some reason

dixoncj

Quote from: TJ Hopland on December 17, 2023, 11:46:12 AMAnyone know if the pump in the video was an original 59 or a later replacement?  I wasn't expecting it to be constructed like that in 59.  That design with the valves seems more like it was designed for production cost savings than function and serviceability.  Or was the change in that kind of thing ww2?  Pre war stuff the valves would have all been threaded one way or another.   
I think they were built like that for all the models that use that pump - and that equates to a bunch of years and thousands of pumps. I think the problem comes in rebuilds generally -- they don't fix the valves into the seats well and then you end up with the issue of 'em coming unstuck. The 1962 I had from 1986 to 2000 had the same fuel original pump for the entire time I owned it. So quality control was obviously real good on the original pumps.

V63

In the 1980's I had that issue with a 1958 pump. I had to re peen the valve into its recess, I agree it was a rebuilder issue.

dixoncj

Just took her out for spin with the newly peened in valves.
Runs great at highway speed - so problem solved.
Now to set the timing a bit better and make a few fine point adjustments to the carb.
STOKED. Thanks for the help/advice.
I'm heading down the road and I ain't coming back.

PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

Quote from: dixoncj on December 18, 2023, 02:26:27 PMJust took her out for spin with the newly peened in valves.
Runs great at highway speed - so problem solved.
Now to set the timing a bit better and make a few fine point adjustments to the carb.
STOKED. Thanks for the help/advice.
I'm heading down the road and I ain't coming back.

Great record, gotta love Warren Smith, Sun rockabilly at its best.

bcroe

I have had so much trouble of this sort with
really old and high mileage cars, I have started
installing fuel pressure gauges (latest solid
state design) to keep track of things.  Here is
a 15 psi setup for a carb, just move the decimal
when reading it.  Bruce Roe