News:

The changes to make the forums only allow posting by CLC members have been completed. If you are a CLC member and are unable to post, please send the webmaster your CLC number, forum username and the email in your forum profile for reinstatement to full posting and messaging privileges.

Main Menu

1957 Fleetwood Trunk Weather Stripping

Started by dvadeboncoeur, December 20, 2023, 07:00:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dvadeboncoeur

When my '57 Redwood was painted they removed the truck weather strip.  I have a replacement but can't fine how to install it correctly. I saw on YouTube videos, of different cars and years, with the weather strip on the trunk lid and others on the track around the trunk opening.  I think it goes on the track around the trunk.  Can some one snap a picture of how the installed weather strip so I can see how it lays against the car? 

dn010

Not sure if it is the same as mine but the original trunk weather stripping went around the track of the trunk, not on the lid. I removed it and replaced it with new material that that matched the original profile, it fit nicely in the track and I glued it in place to keep water from going under and rotting the lip. I should be able to get a photo of it tonight.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

59-in-pieces

R,

A point of cautions is to make sure that the strip is a single piece glued in place AND the strip starts at the center of rear trough and ends there - glued together - butt joint.

Dan's pictures will likely show this.

The cross section of the strip differs, so make sure you get the appropriate contour for your model - somewhere I recall there were different profiles and lengths by model, but I can't be 100% sure on that.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher

dn010

Actually the original weatherstripping I took off the trunk started and ended center bottom beneath the latch, not at the top rear. Not sure if it was ever replaced or not during its life but I installed the new strip with the ends joining on the bottom as well. It made sense to me at the time that the joint would barely ever see any water at the bottom.
-----Dan Benedek
'57 Cadillac Sedan Deville 6239DX
'81 DMC DeLorean

Jon S

Mine has the original factory installed weatherstripping (car bought brand new). Here are some pictures. Ends butt at the bottom center. Picture 3
Jon

1958 Cadillac Sedan De Ville
1973 Lincoln Continental Coupe
1981 Corvette
2004 Mustang GT

59-in-pieces

R

Jon's pics are spot on.

I went back and read my response and saw how it could have been misinterpreted.

The comment about the REAR was meant to be a reference to the rear of the car, NOT the rear of the trunk at the top.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused.

Have fun,
Steve B.
S. Butcher